• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Clockworkmod recovery installation (alt)

noob saibot

May 28, 2012
I want to install CWM on my samsung admire but I dont have the permission to use ODIN on my pc:mad:.. I was wondering if there was another way to install it.

For example: storing an .apk on the root of your sdcard then installing it thru (my files) or (root explorer):)..

Key notables:
I cant install adb (UAC)
Cant run ODIN (UAC)

Basically im looking for a simple method kinda like a 1 click maybe or similar to how you root an admire:D

No promise but I have an idea on how to install recovery but have not tryed it. If you rename the flashable zip cwm zip on the cm7 thread to Update.zip you "should" be able to flash it in stock recovery. If you brick your phone doing this its not my fault!

The signatures would most definitely be different. Unfortunately on stock recoveries there is no way to toggle sig. verification like on CWM. You would have to try different signing apps til you found something that passed. I had to do this while developing on the Pandigital Planet Tab, since there was no cwm support and all I had to deal with was the stock android recovery.

I've had some success using Update-Zip-Packager in the past. I've uploaded it to my repo.
http://openzio.rtrnetwork.com/openzio/openpdp/Update-Zip-Packager.zip

Good luck!

Upvote 0
The signatures would most definitely be different. Unfortunately on stock recoveries there is no way to toggle sig. verification like on CWM. You would have to try different signing apps til you found something that passed. I had to do this while developing on the Pandigital Planet Tab, since there was no cwm support and all I had to deal with was the stock android recovery.

I've had some success using Update-Zip-Packager in the past. I've uploaded it to my repo.
http://openzio.rtrnetwork.com/openzio/openpdp/Update-Zip-Packager.zip

Good luck!

Signing a zip is kinda all the same. When it comes to apps theres 4 other "kinds" of signing. Idk all im saying is a few weeks ago I rooted a guys g2 and I did it with a zip ment for cwm (if you odined cwm first). I renamed to update.zip and it flashed with no problems. I guy ill test this idea. It will be a much easier way to root/install recovery.

Upvote 0
Signing a zip is kinda all the same. When it comes to apps theres 4 other "kinds" of signing. Idk all im saying is a few weeks ago I rooted a guys g2 and I did it with a zip ment for cwm (if you odined cwm first). I renamed to update.zip and it flashed with no problems. I guy ill test this idea. It will be a much easier way to root/install recovery.

You probably got lucky and had the same signature. First hand, I've renamed a few update zips I've packaged together some signed with APK Manager, some not, all did not flash on the admire (vitality) with stock AR recovery. Just a matter of finding the right signing tool for the job and it will be easy to update the recovery.
I worked with AR recovery extensively withe the PDP 2.3.4, thats why I posted update-zip-packager -- on the precipice that perhaps the signing would be the same on this AR recovery module.
I'll mess with ti this afternoon -- see if I can get something that will work in AR.

Cheers :)

edit: pheh... Just confirmed that update-zip-packager does not sign zips correctly for this version of AR. Will have to find other private/public keys to sign with. -- running out of time today so I'll work on it this coming week.

Upvote 0
I've got a lot of computer use in my pass so i always try the easy directions first.

i've had four brands of phones and have never gotten the update.zip method to work.
I have the open source 2.3.4 from samsung and even that has never loaded. i keep the
software in hopes of someday or someway of getting it to load using update.zip.

i just have only ripped what i can use from it and leave it hanging around. hoping to use it
some day. Some dev told me to ADB push it on the phone but i never took the time to try or
learn ADB usage. I hope you have better luck then me.
in the old days zip version became standard after 2.1 then you had to unzip withe one
version then rezip your data with a new zip version to share files. Then self executing zips
became the standard (for a while). This was a real ball breaker for us BBS syops.

This is what i took as zip aligning, so if I'm wrong could you please school
this old guy?

thanks
ol viperdink out,

PS Why can't you D/L the zips Using a free wifi Hotspot on to your phone? wendys,star bucks;;;

oh oh here come the fUN Police for Brand Use/// HA-HA\\\

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones