• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Clockworkmod recovery question?

An UrgeTo Dance

The Hero of the Winds
Jul 22, 2010
Okay so I was reading the rooting for dummies thread, and I saw that it said if you install clockwork recovery that the stock recovery is permanently gone, does this meen that I cant unroot if I root with unrevoked using clockwork or is that only if I use rom manager. The part where I read this was in the nandroid backup section under the through rom manager.

Thanks for any help.

Basically, when you flash another recovery image, you lose the recovery image that comes stock on the phone. In order to actually take advantage of root, you must have a custom recovery. It doesn't matter if it's RA or Clockwork. If you want to use ROM manager, you need clockwork. Any root method (unrevoked being the most popular) will have you flash a custom recovery.

That being said, if you follow the instructions in the same Rooting for Dummies guide for unrooting the phone, that will bring your phone back to 100% stock, including recovery. That PC36IMG file that you flash will undo everything you did to the phone to root it (after you flash the s-on tool, of course).

Reactions: Matlock
Upvote 0
akazabam, Im trying to find clockwork (preferably version 2.6) in a PC36IMG
Do you happen to know where that's at?

If you install ROM Manager it is in there....

And just for clarification.... I don't know what version they are up to on Clockwork but ROM MANAGER ....the APP....is on V.3.0.0.x....so it appears that you are installing Clockworkmod 3.0.0.x when in fact you are installing 2.6.x.x. I saw some confusion on that on here somewhere.

Upvote 0
I can understand wanting a PC36IMG. I keep several around in case the ROM and recovery breaks for any reason. I actually couldn't find a PC36IMG for 2.6.0.1 (the latest), so I made one for you:

PC36IMG_Clockwork_2.6.0.1.zip

I don't have my phone with me, so I can't verify that it works. If it doesn't work, and breaks recovery, just use ROM manager to flash a working recovery, and I'll fix it.

Reactions: surfologist87
Upvote 0
I can understand wanting a PC36IMG. I keep several around in case the ROM and recovery breaks for any reason. I actually couldn't find a PC36IMG for 2.6.0.1 (the latest), so I made one for you:

PC36IMG_Clockwork_2.6.0.1.zip

I don't have my phone with me, so I can't verify that it works. If it doesn't work, and breaks recovery, just use ROM manager to flash a working recovery, and I'll fix it.

Thanks. I appreciate you making one for me.

And flyj, im pretty sure 2.6 and 3.0 are in rom manager, Ive used it to flash them before.. I just wanted a pc36img to hold on to in case of emergency, as all of my nandroids are in clockwork at the moment.

Upvote 0
FYI, here's where I got the img file from:

Index of /recoveries

Presumably, you can take any of those img files and dump them in the PC36IMG file (renamed to recovery.img to replace the existing one), and you'll have a PC36IMG for it. Just make sure you use only the img files that say supersonic. You don't want to flash a recovery meant for another phone :).

Upvote 0
FYI, here's where I got the img file from:

Index of /recoveries

Presumably, you can take any of those img files and dump them in the PC36IMG file (renamed to recovery.img to replace the existing one), and you'll have a PC36IMG for it. Just make sure you use only the img files that say supersonic. You don't want to flash a recovery meant for another phone :).

Thanks for that!

I have a question. What hboot version are you on?
If i upgrade, i noticed i cant downgrade. So then all of my nandroids would be broken without a way to go back and get them to remake them.

Do you know any reason i should upgrade my hboot?

Upvote 0
Upgrading hboot isn't a good idea, basically for the reason you just said. That, and if you think about it, one of the reasons they upgrade hboot is to fix security flaws - you know, the ones we use to root. Yes, we still get root, so maybe it's pointless argument, but still. I have yet to hear of a good reason to upgrade hboot. It seemingly has no real affect on anything else. If I'm ever proven wrong, then I'll admit it, but I've never noticed a problem.

Anyway, I'm still on hboot 0.97. I'm holding out on it because I still have the option to downgrade to the eng bootloader if I ever want to.

Upvote 0
I seem to recall reading about the ability to downgrade to the eng bootloader even after upgrading to hboot 2.02/2.10, but only if you had hboot 0.97 previously (i.e. still have the older partition info). I know it was on xda, but I can't find it now. In any case, save yourself the grief, and keep 0.97 :). Of course, a replacement phone that's actually newer will not be able to flash the eng bootloader.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones