• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ClockWorkMod v5.0.2.7 (file system/recovery utility) update 01/12/12 FIXED

hroark13

Android Expert
Recognized Developer
Jul 15, 2011
ClockWorkMod v5.0.2.7 for Samsung Prevail SPH-M820

:update something was wrong with the last version installing zips, i fixed it

:update, new version and I added ability to backup /restore kernel (boot)

Only Download ClockWorkMod from the links provided in my post, if you download ClockWorkMod from some other source and brick your phone, you will need to go to the place that provided those files for help.

I would also like to mention that you should not use Rom Manager on the Prevail to try and and flash CWM or kernels, Rom Manager is an excellent program. but our phone is not supported for those functions yet.

If you have problems installing this, try reading the instructions again , and if you need help describe what you have done so far and which step you are getting stuck on.

If you DO NOT already have one of my older versions of ClockWorkMod port on your Prevail you will need to install it with Odin. If you already have a previous version of my ClockWorkMod port on your Prevail use CWM update

Install CWM with Odin
1. Download and unzip CWM5027-SPH-M8200-FOR-ODIN-FIXED2A.zip
2. Download stick.zip and copy stick.zip to SD Card
3. Install the Samsung USB drivers (if you don't already have them)
4. From a powered off phone put phone into Download Mode by holding Volume Down, Camera Button, and Power button until the Yellow Downloading message appears
5. Plug phone into USB port
6. Open Odin (on your computer), you should see a yellow box with a com number
7. Select SPHM820.ops in the OPS box
8. Put a check in One Package
9. Select the CWM5027-SPH-M8200-FOR-ODIN-FIXED2A.TAR file in the One Package box
10. Click Start
11. When Odin says reset and the phone reboots Hold Vol UP, and Power button until you are in CWM DO THIS QUICKLY BEFORE PHONE BOOTS, IF PHONE BOOTS UP ALL THE WAY START BACK AT STEP 4. you do not have to wait for Odin to say pass, that does not work
12. In CWM go into install zip from sdcard (use volume buttons to scroll between options and home button to select)
13. select choose zip from sdcard
14. select stick.zip
15. select Yes - Install stick.zip
16. After it is done installing Press back button
17. Select Reboot System Now

Install CWM Update
1. Download the SPH-M820-CWM-5027-UPDT-FIXED2A.zip
2. Copy it to your SD Card
3. From a powered off phone put phone into CWM Recovery Mode by holding Volume Up, and Power button until you are in the CWM-based Recovery Menu
4. In CWM-based Recovery go into install zip from sdcard
5. select choose zip from sdcard
6. select SPH-M820-CWM-5027-UPDT-FIXED2A.zip
7. select Yes - Install SPH-M820-CWM-5027-UPDT-FIXED2A.zip
8. After it is done installing Press back button
9. Select Reboot System Now

CWM : https://db.tt/37Up6VAa

Stick : https://db.tt/wHYW4gxO

If I have helped you, and you like my work, please click on the Thanks Button and give my thread a rating by clicking on the stars above.

If you would like to buy me a beer cofee, you can click on the PayPal button

Last edited:
Now all we need are Cyanogenmod and a lag fix, and we'll be rolling with the big postpaid boys.:p
Thanks hroark. And shabby and all the others making this phone kick you-know-what. :D
Now to find out if this jewel works, as I was interested in flashing shabbykernel anyway...

This only puts shabbykernel in the recovery mode, not regular boot mode.
I guess I should of included it in regular boot as well, but I thought most people had it already

Download worked for me with IE and Firefox

Reactions: Shitididit2
Upvote 0
most excellent work hroark, this weekend permitting ill try to pump out a proper release of shabbymod guys. hroark need two things from ya :) 1 is source available? 2 the replenish is its sister phone mount points are teh same however key controls im sure are not.

the reason why i ask for source code is so that i may be able to talk to a few people and get it upstream and official so that rom manager is supported (fully supported i mean) as it stands right now i know you guys have support with ACS updater app wont have anything in there for a bit but if the nice themers here could start making the flashable zip versions and uploading them im sure it would be filled with stuff in no time :)

Reactions: hate
Upvote 0
no as 4.x.x.x is a version of cwm that koush doesnt even support yet, this is the latest version of cwm, and until koush signs off on it it wont get added to rom manager. altho we dont have to worry about it so much, as time goes on if yall get an updated cwm (no real reason to tho) a cwm flashable version can be made

Upvote 0
hroark need two things from ya :) 1 is source available? 2 the replenish is its sister phone mount points are teh same however key controls im sure are not.

I dont know if you consider this source code or not, but these are all the files I needed to make, mod, and mess with to get this working

I created this on an Android build system that I setup on Ubunto 11.4

You have to put the prevail folder in

/home/user/android/system/device/samsung/

you have to put the graphics.c in

/home/user/android/system/bootable/recovery/minui

If you are familiar with Android builds you should be able to work with this

I really am not too experienced with Andoid builds, so I am not going to be able to answer alot of questions, but I will try

Reactions: Shabbypenguin
Upvote 0
WHaaaaa?!

This is an epic breakthrough for the prevail community.

GREAT JOB!!!

We really owe many many thanks to you hroark13 and Shabbypenguin

Really thank you guys soooooooo much. One thing I hated about creating my theme is the factory resets afterward to keep everything running smoothly but, this CWR is going to make my theming much less of a hassle.

So thank you again

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones