ClockworkMod will NOT work on rooted 2.2, nor will SU in cmd, can't Deodex, etc.

Last Updated:

1. whytecountry

whytecountry Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey there. I've seriously spent my entire day the last 2 days trying to figure out my problem. Just got my Droid X on Wednesday. So I initially tried rooting the manual way (How to get 2.2, Rooted, on your Droid X - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - How to get 2.2, Rooted, on your Droid X - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - Forum), ran into some trouble. Later found that it may have been due to some Moto driver issues. Was finally able to get the correct Moto drivers in by turning off debugging, plugging in as USB Mass Storage, and then it updated MotoConnect to a version that's apparently not available online.

Anyway, I rooted using the one-click root (DroidXRoot), was able to download wireless tethering which never actually worked. The program runs but it says "Unable to start tether". Don't know if this is related. So I'm trying to get clockwork mod, and I'm trying to deodex. I attempted to Deodex using xUltimate v2.2 and this link (http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/158274-how-manually-deodex-your-phone.html), all ended up working, but when I got to the part where I have to enter the cmd lines, I failed. I run adb shell and it brings up a $ and then i type su and it says Permission Denied. Can't figure it out.

I've also tried installing clockwork through ROMManager, I hit Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, hit Droid X, and it says successfully downloaded ClockworkMod recovery. If i lick reboot into recovery it asks if i'm sure, I say yes, and nothing happens. I've also downloaded the file and placed it on tnhe root of my SD Card but I can't figure out any way to actually install it.

I thought I'd go back and start from scratch 2.1 now that all my drivers are in-line, but of course G** D*** Motorola brought down all the sbfs with their C&D. I've manually installed the Android SDK, I honestly don't even know WHAT I've done now, the files on my desktop that I've used consist of usbdeview, xultimate, DroidXRoot_v2, USB_Drivers, recovery-clockwork, update.zip, MotorolaConsumerDriver MotoConnect Installer, I've edited the PATH under my computer settings, I'm completely lost now. I just want to be able to run some themes! My initial goal was to deodex, and then it turned into this massive pile of ****.

I was thinking if I can get deodexed and clockwork mod recvoery working I probably will have solved any other problems in the process, and figure wireless tethering would prbably be included in that. Anyone have any idea AT ALL where I should go from here?

Advertisement
  2. mruno

mruno Well-Known Member

whytecountry likes this.
  3. whytecountry

whytecountry Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You're awesome thanks. I've been looking for the sbf all day PMing everyone who has it haha. I'm just going to go back to stock and start over now that i've learned how to work through all the issues. That should save me.

Thanks a ton.

4. Pointguard1122

Pointguard1122 Well-Known Member

Did you download Koush's bootstrap? I believe you need that as well as Rom Manager to flash ROMs. That worked for me. In fact, I like Bootstrap Recovery better. Rom Manager has given me a few problems.

5. Mojorisen

Mojorisen Well-Known Member

1 requires the other. ;)