• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root clockworkmod

Tcsinowski

Lurker
Mar 23, 2011
Attempting to flash clockworkmod recovery. ClockworkMod 2.5.0.1.

I cant flash any other versions, not even the Alternative Recovery. I am using Rom Manger v3.0.1.3. Every attempt to flash results in an error stating, "an error occurred while flashing your recovery. Any download site where I can get a newer version? maybe 3.x? I have uninstalled rom manger and reinstalled. Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Well, there's a couple of things we can do, it sounds to me like the first one to do is to open rom manager, then go here:

menu -> Delete download cache

Reboot your phone and try again. If that doesn't work, I've got two more tricks up my sleeve, one requires a custom recovery, the other requires you to use either terminal on your phone or adb shell on your computer.

good luck

Upvote 0
Well, there's a couple of things we can do, it sounds to me like the first one to do is to open rom manager, then go here:

menu -> Delete download cache

Reboot your phone and try again. If that doesn't work, I've got two more tricks up my sleeve, one requires a custom recovery, the other requires you to use either terminal on your phone or adb shell on your computer.

good luck

I have the same problem. Tried it and Similar problem and unable to flash alternate recovery of SPR. All Clockwork recoveries flash. Also, I'm sure you've seen this question before, when rebooting into recovery it goes to the triangle, then after manual boot (volume up + cam) I'm stuck at stock screen. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Two things. Make sure you have granted Rom Manager Superuser permissions by opening the Superuser app and checking the list. Then if it's not there, open rom manager and make sure you check the 'remember' box when allowing superuser.

The second thing requires you to enter some commands to your phone either using a Terminal Emulator or adb shell, I will give the commands, using Terminal is pretty self-explanatory, but adb is not, there's guides readily available for it.

Anyways, for the second thing, flash ClockWorkMod and make sure it give a success message within a few seconds. If it doesn't do it again until it does. Then here are the commands:
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/null /system
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.old
mount -o remount,ro /dev/null /system
reboot recovery

Your phone should now boot into CWRecovery. If this doesn't work I have a guide all ready written out at my site for flashing a custom recovery manually.

good luck

Reactions: Myco
Upvote 0
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/null /system
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.old
mount -o remount,ro /dev/null /system
reboot recovery

Your phone should now boot into CWRecovery. If this doesn't work I have a guide all ready written out at my site for flashing a custom recovery manually.

good luck

Sorry to take so long to get back, I know that must bug giving advice and not having any responses. I do have Term Emulator (got it as Root verification for newbs) and using these commands, am able to boot, but it is once again to Android recovery, still not CWR. I have a question or 2. Where is the recovery.img stored so it can be accessed when needed? Can a previous installation of Root Tools have scrambled anything up? I ran this previously and it seemed that is when everything went south. I was able to get to CWR before using this, did a factory reset, reloaded my apps, and now I'm always booting to Android. I will update when I get a chance to follow your guide.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones