• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] "Cloning" my ONE - Making Two Identical Phones??

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
Hi Everyone...

Long time member but been quite a long time since I've here. Hope everyone is well!

I've had a HTC ONE M7 since December 2013, rooted it and flashed a ViperONE ROM (v3.5) on the phone. Been very stable and very happy with it.

I also have an HTC LTE for a second/business line and the phone recently had problems. I just picked up another HTC ONE M7 and also rooted that.

I was thinking of simply "cloning" the new phone with everything on my old phone, then working from there to change a few things. Can I do this by simply flashing the current backup/recovery of my ViperONE ROM on my old HTC ONE on my NEW phone?? Do I have to first flash the ViperONE ROM and THEN flash the recovery?? Are there any concerns with files or other components of the recovery file that will NOT work on the new phone and where I won't be able to "clone" it??

Thank you!

Scott

As long as you are running the same recovery on both phones, it should be fine. But unless you do a SDcard backup, you will probably have to transfer pictures, ect.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, wasn't concerned about cloning the pictures...just the apps and all the OS settings and stuff.

So I simply rooted and flashed the NAND backup I had and was up and running! Few things didn't transfer (like some custom sounds) but 99% of what I wanted was there...and everything I needed to get me up and running without any delay (it was my work phone!!) :D

I have only issue with my GPS though but I posted in a separate thread above:

GPS ISSUE

Thanks!

Scott

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones