• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Close Button On App?

Ncage1974

Mar 22, 2010
Guys i don't know if these is possible with the android platform because of the security seperation between applications but i thought i would just ask to make sure. Is there some type of app you can download that would add a close button and/or menu to each app? Thats one of my major complaints with android is the lack of a close button on each app. I've used advanced task killer for awhile but its a pain to go into advanced task killer every time i want to close an app. I started using "automatic task killer" which is great and i have actually seen my battery life get a lot better but i found some apps that sometimes i want to stay open and sometimes i don't want them to stay open and why i'm hoping for some type of app that adds a menu item to each app with a close option.

Hopefully in the future google adds that and i can't understand for the life of me why they didn't think of this one.

thanks,
Ncage

Hold on, close an app?

Google will NOT add this into android.

Go and have a read up on how android works, essentially apps do not need closing, because when you press the home button, that app goes to sleep, to you, it is essentially closed.

Get rid of all task killing related apps, press the home button when you are finished using an app, and let android do the job it was designed to do, you just concentrate on enjoying your phone.

Upvote 0
Is there some type of app [that does something] to each [other] app?
Nope, not even root apps can alter existing apps, unless they already are "pluggable" to accept features from other apps.

Most, but not all, apps will close if you 'back' out of them - as opposed to just pressing the home key when done with the app.
+1 on that. Doesn't work on all apps -- and that doesn't even matter.

I can't understand for the life of me why they didn't think of this one.
It's because you've got it all backwards. :eek: Sorry, I do NOT intend to belittle you in any way.
The thing is, though, WHY do you want to close your apps? Is it to enlarge your amount of free memory? If so, why do you want your memory to go unused?

It's a basic functionality of the Android app life cycle to stay put (not consuming any cpu cycles or battery) UNTIL it's either called upon or asked to leave. And by "asked to leave", I mean if the phone needs the memory for other purposes (ie. that app you just started). If the app needs to do something again later, it will restart.

Look at it this way: Having free ram is a waste (your investment will be under-utilised). Force-closing apps is also wasteful, as it burns MORE cycles (and consequently, battery) than just leaving them be.

Reactions: lekky
Upvote 0
Here'sa decent writeup on how memory works on android:

andrs.w3pla.net/autokiller/details

In a nutshell, the OS kills apps FOR you when you choose to run something else. Using the back button doesn't necessarily close the app, so much as give the OS permission to do so when needed.

Upvote 0
Here'sa decent writeup on how memory works on android:

andrs.w3pla.net/autokiller/details

In a nutshell, the OS kills apps FOR you when you choose to run something else. Using the back button doesn't necessarily close the app, so much as give the OS permission to do so when needed.

I had a good read and tried this, but with 256MB RAM in my Milestone I still get better performance by closing some apps I do not need running and leaving widgets alone than lowering the RAM limits.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones