Close on exit? on Droid XSupport

Last Updated:

1. kleach

kleach New Member This Topic's Starter

Just got the new Droid X. Coming from a windows mobile phone (which I hated)
    I have a question on the android OS. It seems that when you are done with an app you just have to hit the menu button again.. but this leaves it in memory running.. is there anyway to close the and and just leave it?
    I did download the Advanced app killer but that seems silly to have to pick from a list of what you want closed.. I see no way to just close the app you are in.. it should be a default option for every app.. I hope I am just not finding it.. and it is there somewhere..

-Ken

Advertisement
  2. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Well-Known Member

Advanced Task Killer in the Market. It has a widget for it now IIRC.

One simple press of it will kill all apps.

3. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Well, it might be worth reading some of the many fine posts here and on the web BEFORE deciding if a Task Killer is really a good thing. For some folks, they can be more troublesome, so I'd take advice that "you must install one" with a pinch of salt and do some research just in case.

As far as I can remember though, if you use the "back" key to exit out of an application, you're pretty much telling Android that you're done with it. If you use the "home" button, it's more like putting it on hold, ready to come back to later.

However, despite all this, Android is pretty good at managing your running apps. I recommend a program like System Panel to SEE which apps are currently running in the background or foreground, but I'd be skeptical about using a task killer to kill all apps, maybe just select those ones you want to "force close" on an individual basis IF they're causing problems for you!

4. pjsockett

pjsockett Well-Known Member

The memory management is nothing like you are used in Windows. Coming from windows for several years, I personally don't use any task killer and have no issues. If want something automated get Automatic Task killer. You set the programs once and it does its thing from then on.

5. Mythnyr

Mythnyr Member

6. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Skip the task killer, I got my X on july 1, used a task killer(set up properly) for a week and then a week without it. Things are smoother with fewer "hiccups" without it. Someone else here did this after I suggested it and he had the same results.

Read THIS article.

lexluthor likes this.
  7. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Airmaxx23, just beat me to posting that article :)

I think people are just wasting time trying to worry about killing tasks. Read the article. I'll take a google developer's opinion on this one.

8. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Yup, I think people are so used to computers that they think an android phone runs the same way. I haven't killed anything in a week and my X is actually smoother than before when I was killing tasks a few times a day.