Closing Programs?

Last Updated:

1. digitalxni

digitalxni Guest This Topic's Starter

Hey guys!

This is my first ever smart phone and android phone so excuse me if this is a silly question!

I've noticed that after closing the web browser (well hitting the home key as there is no obvious exit option) and then re-opening it, the browser shows the page I was last at which makes me wonder if it's still running in the background and consuming battery (same with the PDF viewer). Am I right in thinking this and if so how do I close it?

Thanks!

/xni

Advertisement
  2. Eugene's Mac

Eugene's Mac Well-Known Member

Hi there. It does remain in the background, but in a semi-dorment state. Many recommend task killer apps, but the Android 2.1 is very good at task management. I Don't use task killer type programs at all, yet I get a good 2 days battery life from my phone almost every time. So all up to you.

3. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

To exit the program, you can press the back button, but some apps, exit is not programed into it. The great thing with Android is the way it manages the apps. When you open another app, as Eugene said, the old app goes into a dorment state where it uses 0% of the CPU. When you need it again, you can open it and it'll activate itself again. This is better than you killing the app and when opening it, it has to start from scratch (uses more power). If the CPU is low on memory and sees that there are apps you haven't used in X period of time, it will take it that you've abandone that task and kill it to make room for other tasks. One reason why Task Killer apps are not needed. :)

4. digitalxni

digitalxni Guest This Topic's Starter

Cool, thanks for that informative post!