• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Closing tabs in stock browser

smitty543

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2011
I am trying to download the installer from a link for the new Swype Beta, but I get message "Can't open a new tab until you close one." I tried to shut down and restart the phone to clear memory, but I still get the same message. To my knowledge, I did not open any tabs.

Thanks for your assistance!

There is no "Three dot" menu on the home screen - how do I get "menu"? If I open the "4x4" dots in the tray to open the list of installed apps and then tap the three dots to get menu, the list is sort, share, manage apps and edit tabs. When I tap edit tabs, the message is "press and hold icons to rearrange." How do I find the "open tabs?"

Thanks for your assistance!

Upvote 0
Not a fan of this "feature" that leaves tabs open for stuff I looked at days ago. I wish there was a setting to close all tabs when I close the browser.

This and I wish the browser would simply delete the oldest tab when it comes to the limit. I cannot stand this error message that constantly pops up when chances are I could care less about the first 3-4 tabs currently open since it could have been days ago that I opened them. They need to add an option within the settings to allow it to replace oldest tab with the new tab when the limit is reached. Seems like a HUGE oversight for what is normally a great browser option.

Reactions: smitty543
Upvote 0
I like how you can even configure the buttons to whatever you want.

7407807430_fb80fcf932_z_d.jpg

Upvote 0
I really, really recommend Boat Browser. ;)

Good call on Boat, guys. I just downloaded it and like kbp08tls immediately saw that it would probably be a keeper even over Chrome. Even without ICS compliance yet, it seems superior to the stock browser and Chrome. Without the dedicated search button, having one right on the url bar is very helpful. Even Chrome doesn't get that right, and the bottom bar is very useful.

Upvote 0
And just as I say that, I run into a dealbreaker... The forum search doesn't work, when the overlay pops up, the keyboard kills the popup. Seems fixable but I can't use it until then.

Yeah, they seem to alternate fixing and breaking that one.

PS, you can always tap Advanced in Search for any browser that has that broken.

Upvote 0
Keep getting a "close your tabs" error message.
How do I close my tabs on the EVO LTE?
Welcome to Android Forums, Jamesaw221!
We are glad you have joined us, here.

I do not have the answer that you need since I am not familiar with that phone, so I moved this thread into the EVO LTE forum so that the people who use that phone can answer your question.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones