Closing tabs in stock browserSupport

1. smitty543

smitty543 Well-Known Member

I am trying to download the installer from a link for the new Swype Beta, but I get message "Can't open a new tab until you close one." I tried to shut down and restart the phone to clear memory, but I still get the same message. To my knowledge, I did not open any tabs.

Thanks for your assistance!

Advertisement
    :
  2. eazy401

eazy401 Well-Known Member

hit menu then tabs and it will show you the different tabs that are open and you can close the ones you dont want open. Its just like a tab on firefox or IE
    smitty543 and Kevin C like this.
  3. smitty543

There is no "Three dot" menu on the home screen - how do I get "menu"? If I open the "4x4" dots in the tray to open the list of installed apps and then tap the three dots to get menu, the list is sort, share, manage apps and edit tabs. When I tap edit tabs, the message is "press and hold icons to rearrange." How do I find the "open tabs?"

Thanks for your assistance!
  4. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Upper left side, on the opened browser's bar, is there not a three dot menu ?

Maybe tap lightly on the screen, then the browsers upper bar will appear.

Harry
    EarlyMon and smitty543 like this.
  5. kbp08tls

kbp08tls Well-Known Member

In the stock browser, there is a menu button in the upper right corner. Tap it and then tap tabs. Close the ones you don't want. The stock browser is limited to having only 6 tabs open at once.
    marctronixx and smitty543 like this.
  6. smitty543

Thanks for all the input. My problem in trying to find the tab button was that I usually do not use the "stock browser" (labelled 'Internet'). When I opened the stock browser, there it was! All OK now!

Thanks again.
    marctronixx likes this.
  7. cooper1010

cooper1010 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of this "feature" that leaves tabs open for stuff I looked at days ago. I wish there was a setting to close all tabs when I close the browser.
  8. Stubby1

Stubby1 Well-Known Member

You can also swipe across the tab (quickly) once it is pulled up and the tab will be removed. I found this on HTC's site for the LTE. It is a bit easier.
  9. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member

This and I wish the browser would simply delete the oldest tab when it comes to the limit. I cannot stand this error message that constantly pops up when chances are I could care less about the first 3-4 tabs currently open since it could have been days ago that I opened them. They need to add an option within the settings to allow it to replace oldest tab with the new tab when the limit is reached. Seems like a HUGE oversight for what is normally a great browser option.
    smitty543 likes this.
  10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I really, really recommend Boat Browser. ;)
    seawuf, dr g, excav8ter and 2 others like this.
  11. kbp08tls

kbp08tls Well-Known Member

I second that. I installed Boat a couple of days ago just to check it out. I knew within minutes that I wouldn't be going back to the stock browser, or even Chrome Beta. What a hidden gem - you never see it mentioned in the ubiquitous "what browser are you using" threads.
    dr g and EarlyMon like this.
  12. EarlyMon

I like how you can even configure the buttons to whatever you want.

[​IMG]
  13. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

Good call on Boat, guys. I just downloaded it and like kbp08tls immediately saw that it would probably be a keeper even over Chrome. Even without ICS compliance yet, it seems superior to the stock browser and Chrome. Without the dedicated search button, having one right on the url bar is very helpful. Even Chrome doesn't get that right, and the bottom bar is very useful.
  14. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

And just as I say that, I run into a dealbreaker... The forum search doesn't work, when the overlay pops up, the keyboard kills the popup. Seems fixable but I can't use it until then.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  15. EarlyMon

Yeah, they seem to alternate fixing and breaking that one.

PS, you can always tap Advanced in Search for any browser that has that broken.
  16. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

Yeah actually I am trying to live with just that. Boat is too good to give up on that easy :)
  17. jamesaw221

jamesaw221 New Member

Keep getting a "close your tabs" error message.
    How do I close my tabs on the EVO LTE?
  18. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, Jamesaw221!
    We are glad you have joined us, here.

I do not have the answer that you need since I am not familiar with that phone, so I moved this thread into the EVO LTE forum so that the people who use that phone can answer your question.:)
  19. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

While in the browser, touch the "Triple-Dots" to get to the Tabs and start "X- ing" out your browser history.

Or you can get a cache clearing app, or clear your cache via settings or manually X them out one by one.
    PattiCakeUS likes this.
  20. strider70

strider70 Well-Known Member

Open the default browser and ...

- Hit the "3 dots" menu button for options to choose "tabs"

OR

- Touch your screen and move your finger up to make the menu at the bottom of the screen show, then select "tabs"

Close whichever tab(s) you want.
  21. unkledude

unkledude Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving all,

While surfing the web I've noticed that sometimes that I open a new tab. I back out and close the browser and go back in another time to find that there may at times be 1 or 2 open tabs. Is there any way to completely close the tabs ? Seems crazy to me that there's always my last surf spot there.

Thanx