• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Cloudy G3 ROM 1.2

rogueally

Oct 20, 2010
Hey all I just want to say that I am running the Cloudy g3 ROM Ver 1.2 which is the G3 ported firmware to the G2.(I'm sure you all or most of you have heard about it). Long story short its amazing...I highly recommend it. The dual screen function is slick....no need for qslide...lots of good stuff and the Knock on Codes are pretty cool too. Just my .02.

OK, I haven't taken the dive into flashing a rom just yet and I'm happy to hear that someone has ported the G3 software over to the G2. I'm a big fan of that as I came from the HTC DNA running the sense 6 rom from the HTC One M8. I had been running the HTC One Max rom. I loved both.

I personally have been timid against flashing a rom as I'm OK with it stock. I don't like the added menu in the notification drop down. I wish I could remove it totally. I've given my opinion of this. Any further feedback would be awesome.

Upvote 0
I was reading the thread on the cloudy rom. Um I'm confused about the process. It seems to be more detailed than most installs. Any help? Just some general explanation of the process is all. What I dislike about xda is how it's just so minimal. The way I read things over there is, here's the file, flash at your own risk, give thanks if you like it. They are very knowledgeable over there don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing anyone or the site. Just giving a comparison as I see it. Which is why I'm asking for some further explanation.

Upvote 0
I was reading the thread on the cloudy rom. Um I'm confused about the process. It seems to be more detailed than most installs. Any help? Just some general explanation of the process is all. What I dislike about xda is how it's just so minimal. The way I read things over there is, here's the file, flash at your own risk, give thanks if you like it. They are very knowledgeable over there don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing anyone or the site. Just giving a comparison as I see it. Which is why I'm asking for some further explanation.

Make a nandroid of your current setup. Flash the KK modem (radio) if you're not already running it. Flash the Rom. As you're going through the Rom install be sure to select your variant. Wipe dalvik/cache then reboot.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm on 4.4.2, what's the difference in the radio on the rom versus stock? Yeah I'm getting slightly detailed in my questions. And what's this 24A bootstack that is spoken about in the install instructions? That is my biggest red flag.
I'm definitely the wrong guy to ask. I can flash and can usually google my way out of most things but as far as getting deep with all that Dev mumbo jumbo I'm not a good source of info. :D

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm on 4.4.2, what's the difference in the radio on the rom versus stock? Yeah I'm getting slightly detailed in my questions. And what's this 24A bootstack that is spoken about in the install instructions? That is my biggest red flag.

If you are unsure if you have the KK bootstack then flash it. Bad things will happen if trying to boot the rom with a JB 12b bootstack.

Upvote 0
If you are unsure if you have the KK bootstack then flash it. Bad things will happen if trying to boot the rom with a JB 12b bootstack.

the kk bootstack is pretty much instead of 12b is will be 24a, and in turn giving you the kitkat radio. There is no difference in the stock kitkat radio and this radio. They are the same that is unless you install the xdabbebs modified version of the radio. The only thing that will happen if you install a rom that is meant for the kitkat radio is no sound and no screen rotation.

Upvote 0
Hey all I just want to say that I am running the Cloudy g3 ROM Ver 1.2 which is the G3 ported firmware to the G2.(I'm sure you all or most of you have heard about it). Long story short its amazing...I highly recommend it. The dual screen function is slick....no need for qslide...lots of good stuff and the Knock on Codes are pretty cool too. Just my .02.

I installed this yesterday and I completely agree with you. I haven't found an issues and it looks and feels like a new phone!

thanks!

Edit: add G3 Tweakbox (xsposed module)from the playstore and it's even better! All sorts of options to change things up. Worth the $1.29.

Upvote 0
I'm liking it. Been up and running since last evening. I've already disabled a few things in the UI though. And could be my imagination but the touch screen seems slightly less responsive. I'll give it another day or so at least but definitely worth checking out.

I'm really digging it. Been running it since Tuesday. I've been tempted to switch back to my GPE setup but I've stuck it out. Switched the runtime to ART last night and I like what I'm seeing!

Upvote 0
So my only issue is that I use wireless charging and I don't get the popup when I place it on the charger like I did on the G2 stock ROMs.

It charges but this phone is finicky with the Nokia charger and has to sit perfect or it toggles on and off. Without that popup its tough to tell if its in the sweet spot.
I believe it's the same issue aosp has. The phone needs to be on and then wireless charging can work.

Upvote 0
One thing that has sort of helped with wireless charging (for me), and it's been noted about AOSP ROMs is to turn off NFC. I do notice that charging is easier to start up if I do that, and since i never use NFC, it's not a deal breaker.

Edit: Looks like I'll give Cloudy a shot. Been a long time since I've tried an LG ROM. Still on the fence about going ahead with a warranty replacement though....

Upvote 0
One thing that has sort of helped with wireless charging (for me), and it's been noted about AOSP ROMs is to turn off NFC. I do notice that charging is easier to start up if I do that, and since i never use NFC, it's not a deal breaker.

Edit: Looks like I'll give Cloudy a shot. Been a long time since I've tried an LG ROM. Still on the fence about going ahead with a warranty replacement though....

I went back to my AOSP setup after being on Cloudy for 4 days and within 30 mins I was back on Cloudy :D

Upvote 0
I'm digging Cloudy so far. :)
Forgot how much better the LG camera is than the AOSP one. I miss some of the mods from C-ROM, but have learned that everytime I load up a CM based ROM, I set them all up exactly the same so it's nice to have a change. ;)

I'd noticed that as well! In addition, it's a pain to stay up with all the versioning of CM based ROMs. Though updating each time isn't a requirement you know the tendency of a crack flasher.

I think this "stock" g3 ROM may have gotten me. :D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones