• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM 6 Stable Available Now

RRS Poll - Please Rate this ROM only if you have flashed it.

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DroidAddict

Nov 7, 2009
In ROM Manager.:D

***** ROM Reviews *****

Review by YankeeDudeL
Initial Setup:
Very neat boot ani, takes 2-3 mins to fully load. Market uploaded all but 6 apps, and did so in about a half hour. No issues on install.

Appearance:
Pretty much the stock look until you install a diff theme. I used stewart1champ's Watermark'd theme, and other than the black font on black background in the notification pull down bar, there weren't any issues. I would have liked the LauncherPro icons to have themed, but being as this ROM comes with Launcher2 or ADW only, I'm not sure that's possible. More of a theme thing, anyway.

A bug that has been mentioned on here is with the wallpapers. I've experienced the same. When you go to the Wallpapers section, CM has added their own section, and those work and interchange fine. However, when I tried to use a wallpaper from my Gallery, it wouldn't change. So I tried to change again and it went back to a previous CM wallpaper I had used. Inserting into the charging dock gave me my intended wallpaper back, but again couldn't change on the next time. Restarting LauncherPro also achieved this. However, the lockscreen is still the previous wallpaper.

Performance and Goodies:
I've stated in the past how ROMs that have such tremendous customizations seem to not have the same speed capabilities as other ROMs, but this build of CM is doing it's best to shed that. I've experience absolutely no lag with ROM whatsoever, first and foremost. And the overall performance is on par with other rather speedy ROMs. My highest Quadrant score was a 1646 using slayher's 1.2GHz kernel (set at 1.1, still can't run Quadrant at 1.2GHz, but is otherwise stable). My short benches at 1.2 had a low 153 and a long of 418. But don't sleep on the stock kernel, which seemed very capable and fluid at 800MHz. Overall, this performance of this ROM is near peak for my Droid. Very few ROMs have ever been smoother.

Goodies, well, c'mon, this is CyanogenMod. You have more wallpapers, CM settings in your Settings menu, the ability to reboot and boot into recovery or into the bootloader, change music from the volume rocker, compcache, JIT on/off, and keeping home in memory (def helps with redraws). There's more, but you really need to see for yourself if you've never ran a CM ROM.

App and System Function:
Some have reported WiFi issues, which I haven't experienced. Market can be slow at times, but it does work. GPS works fine as well. I noticed this morning that my Word of the Day widget was FCing, which I was going to attribute to the ROM as there wasn't an update. Then I played with my g/f's Droid Incredible (which just received the update to 2.2), and she had the same issue. The prob seems to have been taken care of as it no longer exists.

Battery life, well, I'm not entirely sure about. It runs cool, that's no issue. But I haven't been getting exactly great life. If I'm not messing with my Droid, the battery life is great. But I was doing a lot of internet surfing the past couple days on it, and it seems to drain the battery very fast. I do feel normal use could get me threw the day, but I have charged it 3 times already today. The slayher kernel is probably the biggest culprit, though. If you have a diff go-to kernel, then you're results will most likely vary.

Overview:
This has been the best combination of speed and extras I've seen yet. I've used CM in the past and have never been overly impressed with it's speed, but this ROM is on par with some of the fastest out there. And it's well known what you get when it comes to goodies. However, the wallpaper issue will probably prove annoying, but it can be worked around. And the battery life could def be better. Everything else, comes down to your own personal preference.

Rating:
4 out of 5 stars

Review by SoDroid
Review - CyanogenMod 6

Installation & Setup
I flashed this over the CM6 RC3 I already had set up. I did not wipe, and everything has been great! No FCs, no issues

I'm running the deodexed version of FRG22 (not sure of the letter after that, but..) and it seems to be the only ROM that works flawlessly for me.

I have used all three RCs of CM, I've used Simply Stunning, and tons of other ROMs and they too give me horrible lag. Icon refresh delay and all that stuff. I want to give CM a fair shot, but every RC gives me the same crap. When I installed all of these ROMs, I do a complete wipe and Dalvik cache clear. Still no luck. After a few hours of use, it lags up again.

Someone mentioned to me "Keep Home settings" or something, a CM Settings option. Said I needed to enable it? Does that sound right?

Upvote 0
I'm running the deodexed version of FRG22 (not sure of the letter after that, but..) and it seems to be the only ROM that works flawlessly for me.

I have used all three RCs of CM, I've used Simply Stunning, and tons of other ROMs and they too give me horrible lag. Icon refresh delay and all that stuff. I want to give CM a fair shot, but every RC gives me the same crap. When I installed all of these ROMs, I do a complete wipe and Dalvik cache clear. Still no luck. After a few hours of use, it lags up again.

Someone mentioned to me "Keep Home settings" or something, a CM Settings option. Said I needed to enable it? Does that sound right?
Unfortunately, this is my experience also. EXCEPT for BBv.4. Try that ROM.

Why do I keep going back to other ROMS like CM and what not? The features :cool:! Honestly though, my fav rom is still Pete's BB v0.4...mmmmm stable.

Oh, one last thing. The "Keep Home" setting? Duu it. It helps the annoying screen redraw. It really actually helped me! The only gripe I had with CM is the many Force Closes. It just wasnt very stable. If this version is truly stable and I can get Revolution theme on it with Smoked Glass widgets, then Im sold.

Upvote 0
Alright, being the rom whore that I am, I said wth and downloaded it. Gotta say, I approve. Sticking with this rom for a few days to see for sure but...

BRING ON THE THEMES!

EDIT: Bleh, Batteryminder still FCs. Cant open it whatsoever. WHHHY! I just want to make the icon invisible in the notification bar. Then you can force close all you want.

Upvote 0
Love all the CM features, hate the battery life recently.

Any suggestions? Running Chevy 1.1 ulv with CM6

I get really great battery life on CMs ROMs. Using the same kernel as well. I've tried Slahyer's for a day and noticed it drained a bit faster. One nice feature on CM6 is the ability to easily turn off both data and sync. If you don't need constant updates to Gmail/Twitter/FB etc, it's a handy way to really extend your battery life.

Upvote 0
Alright, I actually got it to work for once. Been running it hard since I installed it and while my Quadrant scores dropped from 1700+ to about 1450, it still hasn't given me the same issues the RCs were giving me.

If there was a ROM for the latest Froyo (FRG22...D?) I'd do that over CM and the last stock Froyo ROM I had.

But so far, CM has surprised me.

Upvote 0
Alright, I actually got it to work for once. Been running it hard since I installed it and while my Quadrant scores dropped from 1700+ to about 1450, it still hasn't given me the same issues the RCs were giving me.

If there was a ROM for the latest Froyo (FRG22...D?) I'd do that over CM and the last stock Froyo ROM I had.

But so far, CM has surprised me.

This is FRG22D....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones