cm10.1 nightlies

1. sntaylor

sntaylor Well-Known Member Contributor

We appear to have a working cyanogenmod Rom :)

is nightlies, so still technically experimental, it may have problems with it etc

Here is the link to xda where the first post explains how to flash etc...there is not, from what I can see, yet a list of what's working and what's not. Personally I'm not going to flash until I read a few more results :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2271595

Flash at your own risk, and if you do, let is know the results ;-)

Advertisement
  2. sntaylor

This Rom has literally just been posted over there....

What's working

Audio
    GPS
    Compass
    Proximity Sensor
    Wifi
    USB mass storage
    HW accelerated gui
    HW accelerated video
    Camera
    USB/Wifi tethering
    Bluetooth (not completly tested but it connected to carkit)

As copied from the thread :)
    Kie likes this.
  3. Kie

Kie Well-Known Member

Alright I've been lazy the past week but I'll give this a shot!

The best part about CM nightlies is their small size.
    sntaylor likes this.
  4. sntaylor

Nfc isn't working!
  5. Kie

Kie Well-Known Member

I cannot envisage a time when I'll ever use it. In fact, I turned it off as soon as I got my phone :)

Okay so I flashed CWM, worked no probs. There's no CWM app installed so I rebooted to it the old fashioned way; Volume Up + Home + Power.

Then I did a factory reset. Took a looooooong time, much longer than for the S2. So don't worry if it hangs on Formatting /cache cause it eventually works. Had some "unable to read boot recovery" issue or something but probably because I didn't do a backup; I backed up using titanium instead. Formatted system, took a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. It's important to follow the instructions, particularly if you're coming from S2 or similar, because the method is slightly different and fails if you drift from it (e.g. formatting system specifically, which isn't done in factory reset).

Installed CM 10.1 from sd card. There's an extra folder called "0" you have to go into before you get to your sd card directory. Installed fine (took a while again) and booted eventually!

CWM Recovery is still unstable and randomly rebooted twice on me, so just had to go into recovery again when it happened.

Verdict: Ugh...would not recommend. Obviously it removes all of Samsung's features; which is bad if you actually use some of them. It makes the infrared useless...and it's way too stock for my liking. Also I'm not sure if it was the System or Factory Reset, but all my photos got deleted >=/ Never had to back them up before...

Back to Omega ROM for me!
    sntaylor likes this.
  6. sntaylor

Great review thanks kie, think I'll definitely be sticking to stock for now, how are you finding omega Rom?

Is it basically a Sammy Rom with mods available?
  7. Kie

Kie Well-Known Member

Yep pretty much!

Also I realised when I reverted back that my photos didn't get deleted; they were unrecognised on CM 10.1, so there's another negative.
  8. sntaylor

Think I had that issue on a build of cm10 once on the s2!
  9. Kie

Kie Well-Known Member

Well I'm back to stock as well now. I found Omega to suffer from bootloops every couple of times I restarted. I'll probably just be patient and wait for a more stable version. I was on Omega v1.0, and it's already up to v3.0 in 2 weeks! So I'll probably wait a month and try Omega again at version 10 ;)

Honestly though, whilst the custom roms offered a lot of changes, speed, battery saving and customisation to my SGS2, the GS4 has most of that already in stock, so there isn't much to gain in using a custom rom; and I'll need some convincing to change my mind. Root apps such as Titanium, Voltage Control and Root Explorer are really all I need; and you don't need a rom for those!
    sntaylor likes this.
  10. sntaylor

That was pretty much what I felt though usb mass storage is something I'd like available! That and to change the battery icon etc, hate how dull everything looks just now ;-)
    Kie likes this.