• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM12.1 Alpha Progress...

You can't flash the modemst partitions from one phone to another. Perhaps I didn't make that clear. You need to keep the Verizon modemst1 and modemst2, everything else can be flashed over from the LS620, even the modem. The efs partitions are encrypted with an on chip hardware key, so you can't flash that from one phone to another. The whole point of backing them up is so that we can replace everything except those partitions.

Upvote 0
That explains a lot . Also why the play store wouldn't open . After putting Verizon modem settings back in and factory reset, the system went right through with Google registration.
The 11-24 fixed image works well aside from the nonworking camera of course. Would it benefit anyone to have some debug info from the open camera app? If there is anything I can add, I'll be happy to give back.
Thanks again for the pointers and recommendations.

Reactions: jacob019
Upvote 0
By request I have uploaded an LS620 full flash image for use on the VS450PP. This image has TWRP and CM12.1 preinstalled. If you intend to use this, make sure the phone is activated first, as you will not have any way to activate it later. In order to flash back to stock you would need a full flash backup from the VS450PP. Make sure to backup and restore modemst1 and modemst2. I do not recommend using this, a better solution would be to finish up a proper build for the VS450PP. Anyway, here it is:
http://www.jacobstoner.com/ls620-fullflash.gz
Direct modification of the partitions carries significant risk of bricking, you have been warned.

Upvote 0
By request I have uploaded an LS620 full flash image for use on the VS450PP. This image has TWRP and CM12.1 preinstalled. If you intend to use this, make sure the phone is activated first, as you will not have any way to activate it later. In order to flash back to stock you would need a full flash backup from the VS450PP. Make sure to backup and restore modemst1 and modemst2. I do not recommend using this, a better solution would be to finish up a proper build for the VS450PP. Anyway, here it is:
Direct modification of the partitions carries significant risk of bricking, you have been warned.
Is this based off of the cm12.1 11-24-15...fixed.zip?
Just wondering. I'd like to see a version with a working camera, so when I have time this weekend, I may work on compiling...
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Hey everybody! Looks like everybody is still keeping busy - glad to be back!
I have a new link to an updated build with a *strong disclaimer:* I developed this on my (other) phone via an automated Jenkins server and haven't had any time to test it at all. However, I feel that it's been so long, maybe someone wants to try build before I get to a real computer :)
I tried to roll all the old fixes into this update, but no camera, etc fixes - yet :)
If anyone wants to help out, please feel free to use or fork my sources. As long as we get this done!
If you do test, please leave feedback.

Again, this is a completely untested build. Use at your own risk and *DEFINITELY* take a good backup before you start!
Here goes:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982087020371

Upvote 0
@T3ch42 yes; no builds with camera support exist yet as @elisam98 is the only one doing any real development and he has not yet added camera support. If you want to contribute then look to the source.
@elisam98 thanks for the new build! What is different between this and the 11/24 build?
I hoped to accomplish 5 things with this build:
  1. Roll the keymaster fix into the sources
  2. Roll the keyboard fix into the sources
  3. Get the latest code updates from Google/Cyanogen
  4. Try to fix the partition size problem
  5. Update more of the settings to match our model number (w5c) - this should stop the phone from getting the w5 updates from vm03
I really wanted to nail these issues and develop a solid code base before starting work on the camera...
I'll try to get back when I test it over the weekend hopefully.

Upvote 0
Please keep up the good work on VS450PP. Would eventually like a recommended build for lollipop.

Upvote 0
Official CM13 is out for the L70, hmm...
Yep and my l70 quit working lol I wish we could use all it's roms , hell it's the same damn phone lol why Verizon has to 31sh.t in everyone's wheaties and ruin the party is beyond me...just like how they butchered my g4 and locked it up like a 10 year old virgin...still rooted that beast but no recovery wah wah wah....

Upvote 0
Not sure if this matters much, but I modified some of the files(setup.sh and the update script) in the official L70 cm13 zip similar to what elisam98 did with the cm12.1 image and tried to boot it up. (On ls620) After flashing the bumped boot image from cm12.1, I attempted to start but unfortunately it kept booting and booting and booting. I got the blue cyanogenmod heartbeat that never stopped.
Is this a valid attempt worth pursuing? I can try some more changes. I believe elisam98 modified the m323 portion of the script; I think I just changed the portion with the least modifications. If anybody has input, please let me know.

Upvote 0
yeah tell me bout it got a moto e i cant even root lol
Oooo that sucks, great lil phone ...I got an LG gpad 10.1 vk700 lte version which is rooted but the exact model only no lte (v700) has a bumped twrp and some custom from activity. Verizon just couldn't live with an lte device being able to move to another carrier lol i'm guessing ,seems like it lol

Upvote 0
There are some hardware differences between the LS620/VS450PP and the L70. They are not the same phone. Very similar but not the same due to the CDMA modems and different partition layouts. CM13 will require a new build with some patches, just like @elisam98 did for CM12.1. I would think the changes from the L70 base would be almost the same for CM13 as it was for CM12.1, so all it will take is for someone to get their hands dirty--review elisam98's sources and apply the same changes to the L70 CM13 base, and build.

Upvote 0
We need to flash TWRP? I have a VS450PP.I would not risk a brick? You yourself have checked it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones