CM6 Lockups

Last Updated:

1. Wiskid

Wiskid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is anyone else getting random lockups with CM6? Sometimes it locks up in the camera app, sometimes it locks up in a browser, and various other apps. The only remedy is a battery pull. I LOVE CM6 but these random lockups are getting on my nerves, lol. I'll track the lockups more closely to see if I can find a pattern or something.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

what home launcher are you using? the ADW that comes on it or Launcher Pro? If you are on LP, the newest version (0.7.9 i think?), there have been a lot of people complaining about it freezing. I had that problem and went back to the version prior to it and havnt had any freezing since then.

3. DarthNopants

DarthNopants Member

I was having the same problem, using LP. Since then, Ive flashed over the brainfuct kernel and the problem has disappeared.

Originally Posted by andygu3 [​IMG]
    Try flashing an uncapped kernel for the lock screen [Kernel] BrainFuct Kernel - UncappedKernel [09/14/2010] - xda-developers I suggest the #14;) Make sure you wipe Davlik cache before flashing

Wiskid likes this.
  4. DarthNopants

DarthNopants Member

5. RobAGD

RobAGD Well-Known Member

I have had issues with the gallery and the camera causing lock ups

-R

6. Wiskid

I am using the standard launcher (AWD, is it?). I just had another lockup while using Yahoo's Fantasy Football app.

Could you explain to me what this kernel effects? Will I lose apps and stuff? Also, does uncapped mean it can be overclocked with setcpu or something?

7. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

yeah.. i'm getting a few lockups per day too

standard ADW launcher - standard kernel

gps loses lock too

some apps don't work (wallpaper rotator, smooth calendar, swiftkey kybd...)

8. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Try setcpu or oc widget, screen off Min: 384-480, screen on 576-710
    Do you have JIT enabled? Maybe disable

GPS not locking in? Try GPS Status from the market

What date CM6 are you running, a nightly? I don't have any trouble with swiftkey

9. androidtp

androidtp Well-Known Member

andy what are your cm6 stats? jit enabled still? wha nightly are you on? still oc to 768?

i get the random reboots too and i'm tired of it!! :(

10. andygu3

Yep, I'm still running the same set up. JIT enabled, 768-556, compcache unchecked, surface dithering unchecked, I pushed VM Heap up to 24m.

I go back and forth between the uncapped, BFS and stock kernels. Usually when I find a great set up, I will do a nandroid. I flash the nightlies nightly, but I can't remember the last time I had a random reboot or freeze:)

11. androidtp

what are the benefits in going back and forth between the kernals? wha works best for u? and why you go up on the vm heap? just curious so i can have a better understanding.. oh yeaaaa why you quit our wordfeud game?? lol

12. andygu3

I usually try out Dec's kernels when he releases them, but the stock kernel is getting better now;)

VM Heap, look at this Test: How changing the max amount of memory per VM Heap can effect your ROM (Cyanogen) Ryan Olson So i looked at this and bumped it up to 24m

Lol on wordfeud, installed the new 9/26 so I had to wipe data and lost everything. Start a new game:D:D

13. Wiskid

Wow. I flashed this kernel, and could not be happier. No more lockups, noticeably faster (with setcpu at 710), and seemingly better battery life.

Thanks a lot!

14. andygu3

Glad you found something that works with the lock screen and battery life:)

15. androidtp

what's the disadvantage in flashing the bfs kernals?? i thought the stable ones were better overall

16. andygu3

Don't think there is a big disadvantage anymore, gps works fine now. Just make if you flash a BFS kernel, uncheck JIT, check compcache. Might not get the high linpack scores but quadrant will still be there;)

17. androidtp

cool..how about the new stable kernals? anything different from the original kernals? i've been running #14 for the longest and didn't even realize he made more after this for stable

18. andygu3

The latest stables are good too, I think in general each kernel Dec puts out is better than the last.

Good thing also is the stock kernel is running great too:D

The only difference that I see on my phone is that the BFS kernels do NOT like JIT, after a while the phone begins to lag a little, not a lot, but I can see a difference.

Enabling compcache for the stable and BFS kernels is recommended;)

19. LLWesMan

LLWesMan Well-Known Member

Will I lose anything by installing this? Same goes for the kernal in the previous post. I've never flashed a new ROM after initally rooting and installing CM6, so I'm still very green.

20. andygu3

This is the 9/18 stable of the CM6, you will have to flash the gapps directly after flashing the rom. Found here TeamDouche Mirror System Download and flash only the 9/30 MDPI gapps.

As far as the kernel is concerned, set up your phone first with your google account and downloads from the market;)

Then after you have set everything up, make a nandroid of your phone;) Download a kernel(recommend the most recent stable), boot into recovery, wipe Davlik cache and cache, flash the kernel, then reboot phone

21. LLWesMan

LLWesMan Well-Known Member

So I'll lose all the data I have in there now? Apps etc? I already have CM6 but an older version.

22. andygu3

If you have CM6 on your phone now, you can flash a nightly without losing anything.

Nandroid
    Download newest nightly
    Boot into recovery
    Wipe Davlik cache and cache
    Flash the nightly
    Reboot