• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CM7 Easy Installation]

nuttmeg

Extreme Android User
Feb 9, 2011
Lone Star State
I take no credit for this, just posting what i found. A big Thanks goes to isaacj87.

I am in no way responsible for any brick or any void warrants!
Flash on your on responsibility
Please people if your device is not rooted don't do this go to the market download z4root and and root your device then proceed with this guide.​
This is a alpha release all credits to isaacj87. This will have bugs. Please visit the prepaid Android community

Working​

• Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • GPS (see notes)
  • Sound
  • Accelerometer
  • Hardware keys
  • Trackball
  • Touchscreen
  • Lights
  • Apps2sd
  • Radio
  • Data services
  • Basic USB functionality
  • Camera
  • USB mounting

Move Angry Birds to internal memory.
CM7.1RC1-Ascend-BobZ672-070811.zip For Lazy Ascend

This is for Cricket and Metro PCS.

Guide : Use Clockworkmod 3xxx http://www.mediafire.com/?58l7ccmtkmli107

MMS FOR METRO USERS: http://www.mediafire.com/?q83m25ls8p5vnvi

Ok download both zips put them on your sd card make shure you have performed a nandroid backup
now enter recovery mode
Volume Up/Send/Click power
Make sure you hold voume up and the send key until you are fully in recovery​

You will need to do a full wipe.
This will delete all your data!
"apps, contacts, text messages, phone log,"
- Use the trackball to scroll down to wipe data/factory reset. .
- Next, go to wipe cache patition.

Now, go to advanced and Wipe dalvik cache.

under mounts and storage, format following...
boot
data
system
cache

Now your ready to flash !

Go down to install zip from sd card.

Choose zip from sd card now choose the Cyanogen mod you downloaded.
After it flashes go back by pressing the back key and go to install from sd card again
then choose zip and install the gapps zip! you have flashed Cyanogen mod! Now go back to the main menu and reboot
(Note reboot time should be a long time up to 5-10min)

Thanks to Bobzhome:

For those that have a really lazy Ascend, that can't get the 710MHz or my latest 729MHz installed...here is an very low Over Clocked edition: CM7.1RC1-Ascend-BobZ672-070811.zip This version only goes up to 672 MHz, so those that have had problems in the past installing CM7, should be able to with this version.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://prepaidandroid.org/index.php?title=CM7-Ascend-BobZ

Current Build: CM7.1RC1-Ascend-BobZ-07082011.zip
Latest Gapps: gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip

Latest Gapps: gapps_update-2.3.5-gb-20110725-signed.zip
Current Build (07282011): CM7.2-Ascend_07282011_signed.zip (Also available in ROM Manager)

NOTE: Format boot, system, data, cache, and sd-ext!!!

• Joenathan - My go to guy for testing, themes and good in a fight
  • MarcNvidic - Dev working on the Huawei IDEOs. I've stol..er borrowed so many fixes from him. Big thanks to Marc.
  • Tom Giordano - The main man on the Huawei Pulse. He's pretty much the whole reason why I got CM6/7 on the Ascend.
  • Pip2kk (Etnie) - For letting me host my ROMs on this wiki and maintaining CM6.
  • Pcs209 - For the original USB Mounting fix.
  • Adefa - He made MMS his bitch.
  • PlayfulGod - For fixing the MetroOFF package to work with CWM3+, constantly testing new builds, and maintaining CM7-Ascend.
  • Turl - For doing such a great job on the Motorola Zeppelin. It's helped me out with my kernel.
  • Koushik Dutta a.k.a Koush - For his bad-ass recovery
  • Steve Kondik a.k.a Cyanogen - Seriously? Do I need to state why I owe thanks to this guy?

What works?

• Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • GPS
  • Sound
  • Accelerometer
  • E-Compass
  • Hardware keys
  • Trackball
  • Touchscreen
  • Lights
  • Apps2sd
  • Radio
  • Data services
  • Camera
  • Camcorder
  • USB Mounting
  • Mms (see notes)
  • Live Wallpapers
  • Compcache and Swap

Maintainer's Notes
This is Isaacj87's ROM(nothing fixed) with just an updated CM7

Changelog
07-08-2011: Sync'd up with CM7.1.0-RC1 = New CM ScreenShot(see pic below)
: Another new MAC address with this release.
: Added Over Clocking to 729MHz(see pic below) NOTE: the highest my lazy Ascend would allow to boot
07-01-2011: Sync'd up with CM7.1.0-RC1 = Minor bug fixes this week
: New MAC address with this release. So if you have multiple Ascends, just flash one of them to this build. To resolve the same MAC address problem!
: Added Darktremor Apps2SD v2.7.5.2 + fix
06-25-2011: Updated to CM7.1.0-RC1

: New ringtone added: "Follow Your Heart" by one of my favorite bands: "Triumph"
06-18-2011: Updated to CM7.1.0-RC1

: New ringtone added: "Somebody's Out There" by one of my favorite bands: "Triumph"
CM7.1.0-pre changelog:

• Build by PlayfulGod
      • Synced with CM repos (CM7.2, 2.3.5)
  • WIP
    • Build by PlayfulGod
      • Synced with CM repos
      • Looking into LED lights not working

If I root my inactivated cricket huawei ascend and install cm7 rom, will I be able to activate it later? Or will there be any problems? Thanks in advance

Nope anybody at cricket or metro pcs
Will be able to activate it. At first the cricket manager said there is something wrong with you're custom rom I can't activate it, I walked outside re dialed and it activated the phone.

Upvote 0
If people are going to take my comments so seriously, perhaps they should have the sex change.

This isn't grade school. It's not that hard to properly punctuate. And if you're here asking for help, the least you could do is make it so those that might be able to help can understand you.

I'm not perfect, but I at least make the effort.

Upvote 0
Ok download both zips put them on your sd card make shure you have performed a nandroid backup
now enter recovery mode
Volume Up/Send/Click power
Make sure you hold voume up and the send key until you are fully in recovery
You will need to do a full wipe.
This will delete all your data!
"apps, contacts, text messages, phone log,"
- Use the trackball to scroll down to wipe data/factory reset. .
- Next, go to wipe cache patition.

Now, go to advanced and Wipe dalvik cache.

under mounts and storage, format following...
boot
data
system
cache

Now your ready to flash !

!!dont forget to go back to advanced and fix pernissions before going on and instaling a .zip from the sd!!

Upvote 0
Okay im new to the forums and have been reading around and you guys seem like good people so heres my problem.

I plug my phone into my computer and put the rom i want to flash onto the root of my sd card and all that. Then when i go to clockwork mod recovery and click install from zip the rom or whatever you call it that i put into my sd root does not show up but i know it is there because when i plug my phone back into the computer it shows it on there.

Please help out, thanks guys.

Upvote 0
Nope anybody at cricket or metro pcs
Will be able to activate it. At first the cricket manager said there is something wrong with you're custom rom I can't activate it, I walked outside re dialed and it activated the phone.

You can not activate at metro after you flash cm7 because we do not do over the air programming any more. we hit ##626* then manually type it in. Activate it stock then flash the rom. I have not figured out how to manually access the program page. If anyone knows how please be kind to help me as I've searched and havent found anything.

To be clear they can activate the MEID but cant program the phone with MDN or MIN

Upvote 0
Okay im new to the forums and have been reading around and you guys seem like good people so heres my problem.

I plug my phone into my computer and put the rom i want to flash onto the root of my sd card and all that. Then when i go to clockwork mod recovery and click install from zip the rom or whatever you call it that i put into my sd root does not show up but i know it is there because when i plug my phone back into the computer it shows it on there.

Please help out, thanks guys.

you didnt unzip it did you? if so there is your problem right there. The .zip files have to stay zip and move to the sd card.

Upvote 0
So I don get the difference between the cm7, cm7.1 rc1,and cm7.2

can anyone help?

Most of it is performance improvements,background service improvements that aren't gonna be so noticeable,w/a few exceptions :

1) DARK TREMORS A2SD

2) SCREENSHOT built in,long press the call end button to access this.

Check out the CM7 WIKI & read the entire page.It gives a detailed account of the Genesis of CM7 for the ASCEND & all of the subsequent updates & improvements that are now a part of the most current build.

Upvote 0
Most of it is performance improvements,background service improvements that aren't gonna be so noticeable,w/a few exceptions :

1) DARK TREMORS A2SD

2) SCREENSHOT built in,long press the call end button to access this.

Check out the CM7 WIKI & read the entire page.It gives a detailed account of the Genesis of CM7 for the ASCEND & all of the subsequent updates & improvements that are now a part of the most current build.
Correct, screenshot is a native feature in CM7 and I added dta2sd to my build :)

most everything else is stuff you want see or maybe even notice but all needed improvements.

I'll add a link on the wiki to CyanogenMod's changelog so those who want to read up on CM changes can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones