• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CM7 Easy Installation]

When I first starting flashing the Ascend, I got boot loops all the time. Anytime I flashed anything that OC'd higher than 710 put me in boot loops and hangups. I could actually bust out of some of them and get it to work, but doing that at each startup got old, though easier as the build settled in. And I boot looped on the lazy builds a couple times. I must have gotten it broken in because things run pretty smooth for me these days, though I do super clean flashes. I even reformat my sdcard on a totally new build. My phone is VERY particular.

Yup I reformat mine every time. And just move the CWR folder back after I do. Since I started downing that Ive never had a problem flash wise.

Upvote 0
Yup I reformat mine every time. And just move the CWR folder back after I do. Since I started downing that Ive never had a problem flash wise.

I was just fiddling around with my sdcard. I thought a full format on the computer would wipe it fresh. It didn't. I never noticed the partition remained on there. And when I tried to create partition again, it either overwrote the existing one, or just used it again (I'm guessing overwrite.) Either way, partitioning an already partitioned card, even though it really doesn't change anything, wipes out the data outside the partition as well as inside it. Guess I should pay attention to things more often, who knows what I might actually learn. :)

Upvote 0
Which build? 0912 or 0913? The 0912 has the 748 kernel which alot of phones can't run. The 0913 has the 710 kernel which alot more phones can run.
But Reflash and make sure you wipe everything and format everything except for the SD card.

Thank you! I finally got it to work by using the Lazy Ascend Rom...I have no idea why I didn't try this earlier :) But it runs fairly slow any ideas to speed it up? It's currently running at max OC...

Upvote 0
I've gone back and forth between cm7 and stock several times over the last few days for various reasons.
Now each time I have flashed back to cm7 I have noticed pieces missing.
I get the right splash and boot screens but when i got to the lock screen I had the new wallpaper but the old slider.
On homescreen I had cm7 wallpaper but different icons in the pulldown bar, cm7 icons on system apps, but stock icons for phone, text and contacts.
This last time I got my old wallpaper, dock, and all but 5 system icons are stock.

My cm7 seems to have pieces falling off of it like a rotting zombie!

It seems to be working ok so I'm rolling with it for now, but what could be causing this?

I checked my info and it says I do have cm7 and everything so I know it's installed. And I tried reclicking themes in the launcher but nothing changed.

Upvote 0
We're going with doing it manually because its actually easier because issues always arise with ROM Manager

Once rooted (which I think you are) download ROM Manager and open it up and go to "Back up current rom" and back your current up. Then at the top select "Flash recovery" pick the Ascend out of the list and flash the recovery. (I suggest hitting the flash button 3 times to make sure it flashes)

Then once the recovery is flashed, pick a rom download it and put it on the root of your sd card. Download the gapps too and put them on the root of your sd card. You can find CM7.2 here: CM7-Ascend - Prepaid Android and heres the latest gapps:gapps-gb-20110828-signed 7.2.zip

then once they are on the root of your sd card (root meaning not in a folder) turn the phone of and while holding the send key and volume up key tap the power. You will then go into clockwork recovery.

Go to "wipe data/factory reset" and wipe it, then to wipe cache partition and wipe it, then to advanced and select wipe dalvik cache and wipe it. Then go to mounts and storage and format everythinng except the SD card. If you format the sd card it will erase everything on your card.

Then go to install zip from sd card then to choose zip from sd card and select the rom zip file and flash it. Once that is done go back to choose zip from sd card and flash the gapps. Once those are done hit your back key a couple times so you are on the main screen and go back to advanced and select fix permissions then once that is done go to "reboot system now" When your phone reboots you will be on cm7 and you will have to put all your gmail info in again like you did when you first got the phone.

then youre done. Enjoy

Reactions: DMajor239
Upvote 0
then once they are on the root of your sd card (root meaning not in a folder) turn the phone of and while holding the send key and volume up key tap the power. You will then go into clockwork recovery.

Go to "wipe data/factory reset" and wipe it, then to wipe cache partition and wipe it, then to advanced and select wipe dalvik cache and wipe it. Then go to mounts and storage and format everythinng except the SD card. If you format the sd card it will erase everything on your card.
it stays stuck in the "huawei" boot screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones