• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CM7 Easy Installation]

No prob. That's why I posted my experiences.

It's not my phone, it's a friend's (I have an LG Optimus V, which I had already rooted and flashed). The Ascend is not a very good phone, IMO. A bit crude for my tastes. And I did notice that even after flashing GB on it, it still ran pretty sluggish. ADW Launcher kept force closing and freezing up. What I did was to go back into ROM Manager and I selected "Fix permissions". Since then, it has run considerably better. I also turned off all animation, since the phone can't handle it well anyway. Not perfect, but the phone is running better than it ever has.

Install the V6 SUPERCHARGER SCRIPT by ZEPPELINROX & watch the performance level jump.
See SCUR's how-to thread on the subject. Follow the instructions exactly & you'll have a new phone on your hands.

Upvote 0
Uh, I installed CM7.2 build 09132011, stepping up from CM6, and it seems to have debugging issues. Also, it seems the usb driver(I tried them all, everything that has to do with the ascend), will not install with this build. I'm running Qtadb, and eclipse off of the platform tools, adb .exe file, and I need the correct driver for this build. I first thought it was a problem with my pc setup, so I wiped my drives, installed ubuntu, and tried it from there(windows was much easier to get everything up and running right). I uninstalled ubuntu, reinstalled windows XP on totally wiped,formatted, partitioned, updated(Service pack3) install. I redid every tool that I use, and still have the same problem(yes I installed all of the important api's). I have to manually turn on usb debugging every time I plug it in, so I think it's this rom. I don't want to reflash, cause it's so much faster, and stable. Oh,I forgot, It's playfulgod's 7.2, and I think it's great, except for that.The idetifying number for my phone has changed since the install, I wonder if that's a contributor to the problem. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Noob here, I have rooted my ascend using z4root, and I downloaded the files that were on the first page, but from there I really don't know where to go. I assume I need to download the CWM before I can instal CM7, but I don't know how. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this helps, but the Kernel version is 2.6.29-perf

Upvote 0
Ok, now I'm really perplexed, everything I want to do, I can, but only in recovery , adb interface works. When cm7 is running, there's a android phone, interface, bootloader interface, and something called dbinterface, but the phones not recognized, and the adb interface is greyed out. Searching for drivers is frustrating, cause I still use xp 32, and drivertools, USB_Driver's (huawei, google, even the ro3 legacy) all say that it can't find the necessary software. I got qtadb(gui overlay) on top of adb, and it has a function to fix the uid's(universal identifiers), but still nothing. I've tried all the fixes, forums(unleashed, this one, xda, andr.. dev's). Looking into why there's no problem with cm6, and what's missing, I want to use adb when the phone's on, not just in recovery.

Upvote 0
Have it all working a while ago, but in the meantime, I've gotten a alcatel authority from cricket( radioshack), and now it's time to focus elsewhere. Where the ascend was relatively easy, the alcatel has absolutely no support whatsoever. So, it's a new fight now, and the things I learned from this forum, will help me in this endeavor. Still love the little engine that could, and will miss it as a daily, but my things never go away, just made to have a new mission.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones