• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM9 on my Nook now

2acclaim

Sep 2, 2010
Couldn't resist the urge anymore so I ran a backup and put the CM9 nightly on my Nook late last night.

Install as always was a breeze. Boot time was horrific the first time. I thought I was in a bootloop for a while since it stop moving for a bit, start it's animated boot screen, stop/start happened for a while. Being patient, which is not my strong point, it finally fully booted.

Added the new gapps, booted again.

I am running the openGL version. There were a few times while I was restoring my apps where it appeared to freeze for a while. twice I was forced to hard reset(holding down the power button).

Installed airport mania(a favorite game of mine) and ran that for a few minutes. Sounded good, played smoothly.

I have not tried, netflix or playing a movie(yet).

Wifi works, sound works, screen works. Let it run overnight and tried it briefly before going to work this morning.

Seems pretty stable so far. No force closes, but did have a few early lockups but those seem to have gone away.

Overall pretty pleased. Will report more as I find more time to play with it.

I obviously can't call it stable just yet, but it is running and running pretty well.

Couldn't resist the urge anymore so I ran a backup and put the CM9 nightly on my Nook late last night.

Install as always was a breeze. Boot time was horrific the first time. I thought I was in a bootloop for a while since it stop moving for a bit, start it's animated boot screen, stop/start happened for a while. Being patient, which is not my strong point, it finally fully booted.

Added the new gapps, booted again.

I am running the openGL version. There were a few times while I was restoring my apps where it appeared to freeze for a while. twice I was forced to hard reset(holding down the power button).

Installed airport mania(a favorite game of mine) and ran that for a few minutes. Sounded good, played smoothly.

I have not tried, netflix or playing a movie(yet).

Wifi works, sound works, screen works. Let it run overnight and tried it briefly before going to work this morning.

Seems pretty stable so far. No force closes, but did have a few early lockups but those seem to have gone away.

Overall pretty pleased. Will report more as I find more time to play with it.

I obviously can't call it stable just yet, but it is running and running pretty well.

The build without openGL is more stable as of right now. Netflix doesn't work on either yet. They are still waiting on source for accelerated graphics drivers. I'm not totally positive they are going to get them. Hopefully they can cook something up.

YouTube works, but YouTube HD video is unplayable. Been running both of the builds (samiam and eyeballers) since their inception, update nightly with each version on a different nook. Eyeballers on one, samiam's on my other NC.

I still wouldn't recommend cm9 for most people as a daily driver yet.

Upvote 0
The build without openGL is more stable as of right now. Netflix doesn't work on either yet. They are still waiting on source for accelerated graphics drivers. I'm not totally positive they are going to get them. Hopefully they can cook something up.

YouTube works, but YouTube HD video is unplayable. Been running both of the builds (samiam and eyeballers) since their inception, update nightly with each version on a different nook. Eyeballers on one, samiam's on my other NC.

I still wouldn't recommend cm9 for most people as a daily driver yet.

Looks like I can't use it as a daily. I need Netflix or even PlayOn to work and no video works.
Really nice ROM though. Once they get video working it will be sweet

Upvote 0
I love ICS, but on the NC it seems a bit more laggy than CM7.

A few people I respect that use the NC more than me (I only update my wife's NC every couple weeks), think CM7 Mirage is better suited to the NC. It's got the ICS icons but is nicely optimized for speed.

Still, if you make a backup in recovery (assuming you're installed on your NC, not a sd card), and you don't like cm9, you could always restore your backup and go back to cm7. :D

Reactions: iamsmitty
Upvote 0
I love ICS, but on the NC it seems a bit more laggy than CM7.

A few people I respect that use the NC more than me (I only update my wife's NC every couple weeks), think CM7 Mirage is better suited to the NC. It's got the ICS icons but is nicely optimized for speed.

Still, if you make a backup in recovery (assuming you're installed on your NC, not a sd card), and you don't like cm9, you could always restore your backup and go back to cm7. :D

I guess I'll chime in here. Been gone awhile off in the LG connect forums, doing some dev work there, almost forgot about my nook, even though I use it daily lol.

I have followed and used nearly every ics nightly that has been built since it began. Both opengl and non version. Its still not nearly ready in my opinion. Its buggy and laggy. To be honest, its never going to be quite right IMO. The nook just doesn't have the power nor resources to run it properly. Yes, it will run, but not like it should. Run ics on a devices meant for it and you'll see what I mean.

On the other hand, the cm7 mirage kang build runs like butter, colchiro is 100% right. Its far better suited to the NC, and even once cm9 is done I still probably won't use it as a daily driver. The nook pulls it off, just not well.

Btw, hi colchiro, long time no speak. Hows everything going with you and the family?

Upvote 0
Good to see you're still around. :D

Yes, the NC doesn't have enough ram or cpu to run ICS smoothly. It's acceptable on my Touchpad (dual cores) and should improve once they get the hw acceleration working in the launcher and it's like butter on my Nexus.

I'm well and my wife (who has the bad form of MS) is still working, but not sure how much longer.... at least next spring would be nice, but we'll see. Her supervisor wants her and her friends out, not something you'd expect from a US Gov hospital job.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones