CMAS alertsGeneral

1. Dark One

Dark One Well-Known Member Contributor

Is anybody else getting these? The government uses it to send texts to warn you about tornado warnings and other severe weather. It's a nice idea, but they text every five minutes to tell me about a tornado warning several hundred miles away from me. It's very annoying and I can't figure out how to disable it. There are checkboxes under messaging settings, and I unchecked all of them and rebooted, but the messages persist. My sister has an Optimus V with Virgin Mobile and she does not get these. Does anybody know how to disable these alerts?

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. Dark One

I just tried blacklisting them with Handcent, hopefully that will work.
  3. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Well-Known Member Developer

Is this built into the phone?
    The OV and Evo V do not get them.

If it is built in, there should be an app causing it, and you could probably remove it. Try stopping some services and such to figure out what it is that is causing it. Then we can deal with it.

If it's an app, dump it and download "Simple Weather Alert".
    Dark One likes this.
  4. Dark One

The screenshot was taken from the settings in the stock messaging app. I'm using the weather channel app and I poked around in there and couldn't find anything. I tried to force stop the weather channel when I was getting the messages but it was not running. I'll mess around more when I start getting the messages again, thanks.
  5. Dark One

They are relentless T_T

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In taking this screenshot I realized that handcent is blocking the messages when I put it in my blacklist though.
  6. BliND123

BliND123 Well-Known Member

Did the phone come with this? I don't see it anywhere on mine. I did remove whatever the Mobile ID downloaded though, not sure if that went along with it.
  7. Dark One

In the stock messaging app click the menu button on your phone, then settings, then scroll to the bottom. That's where all the checkboxes are on my phone.
  8. jmfolcik

jmfolcik Well-Known Member

I got these 2 if them on the 20th

This is a test of the Commercial Mobile Alert System. This is only a test.
  9. Leslie Ann

When I can get ahold of the phone again, I will see what I can find.
  10. Dark One

Here is the email response from Virgin:

Thanks for contacting Virgin Mobile Customer Care.

Regarding your concern, we have not found a way to disable CMAS alerts. Virgin Mobile allows customers to block incoming messages, but these messages must come from a number or short-code, this is not the case with CMAS alerts. These alerts do not generate that information in our system, and just like Virgin Mobile service alerts, we are unable to block them or disable them. We are sorry about that.

If you need additional assistance, feel free to let us know how we can assist further or contact us at 1-888-322-1122 (or *VM from your handset). You can reach us from 4am - 9pm PST seven days a week. As a reminder, please include your Virgin Mobile phone number and PIN on all replies.

Thanks,

Humberto C. Virgin Mobile At Your Service
  11. Leslie Ann

Funny, because there is no sign of even the settings on my moms phone.
    I must have removed whatever app it was that handles it.

I'm betting it's GenieWidget (news and weather), since I removed that from her phone. Just one more reason I hate unrooted phones.
  12. riggerman1

riggerman1 Well-Known Member

That's strange. My wife an Elite and hasn't been getting any messages from this service. I'm thinking it might an app you installed. Try doing a factory reset and reinstalling the apps one at a time until the alerts reappear.
  13. dobbs69

dobbs69 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's an app I've got it too, in my stock messaging app. Funny, some folks report having it and others don't. And when I rooted I thought I removed all the bloat. However I've not received any alerts. Just a thought but I do have weather bug and they show amber alerts sometimes, maybe that app put it there.
  14. bigcat73

bigcat73 New Member

I've been having the same issue. I checked off all the boxes and still get the messages every 5 minutes like you said. I did some digging and found a page that I can't link to since this is my first post that says you can turn off the CMAS client by dialing ##2627#, but I never get anything when I dial that.
  15. bigcat73

bigcat73 New Member

RealFastOne likes this.
  16. Leslie Ann

Missed this post...
    I checked the Evo V, it has it, and now that I know where it is, I'll re-check the Elite. My guess is that it has them too as do all of these phones, it's just a matter of finding it.

As for killing it, pulling apart the messaging app is the only way to disable it completely.

No issues on my end on either phone though.
  17. Beno3000

Beno3000 Member

Without knowing if and where the internal settings for the phone are I'm guessing you'd have to root first.

Root, install handsent, install titanium backup, freeze or delete default messaging app (after back up).

It's the only thing I can think up right now.
  18. Beno3000

Beno3000 Member

I haven't receive one CMAS message yet.
  19. Leslie Ann

20. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Well-Known Member Contributor

i have it built into my stock messaging app. not getting alerts at all with all check marks on. and weve had 100+ temps for over a week with severe storms almost every evening. not a very reliable alert system lol
  21. kwknott

kwknott Well-Known Member Developer

I have yet to receive one either. Even with the nasty storms last Friday nothing came in.
  22. coffeecupx2

coffeecupx2 New Member

You should only get ONE copy of each unique CMAS alert. If you are getting the same one every 5 mins it's your phones software or your carrier repeating them but as new messages each time.
  23. nanustud

nanustud Member

CMAS is built in while ICS update was rolled out you should have received this while you updated am on Galaxy note 2 and i think Turning off CB Activation should stop the messages. Messages----> Setting----> Cell Broadcast Setting (Allows you to receive Cell broadcast messages) OR From the Home screen, tap Messaging----> Settings ---> Scroll to the bottom and select Emergency alerts. All alerts are enabled by default (checkmark showing) Tap on an alert option to disable the alert and remove the checkmark.
    Scur likes this.
  24. Dark One

So I think freezing the stock messaging app blocks these. I know that blacklisting with a 3rd party messaging app will block them.