• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? That's your beef?

It's a USB cable, not a Motorola specific cable. Personally, I would have hated having a 4+ ft. cable because my phone is always within two feet of the charger, and it would have just been added bulk to carry around.

Buy a new USB cord from Monoprice, any length you like.

Upvote 0
I must agree. The stock cord is woefully short. It barely reaches from the ground to a desktop! Wow, this sure is easy to use...

58941651_photobucket_37712_.jpg

Upvote 0
I must agree. The stock cord is woefully short. It barely reaches from the ground to a desktop! Wow, this sure is easy to use

You guys are hilarious. It's a USB cord. It's 3' long (not 2') - that's a standard length.

The USB cord I got with my BT headphones was 3 ft. The USB cord I got with my other phone was 3 ft. The USB cord I got with my wireless mouse was 3 ft. The USB cord I got with my iPhone was 3 ft. The USB cord I got with my car charger was 3 ft.

They aren't trying to supply everyone's individual USB cable needs - that's why they use a widely adopted standard.

Upvote 0
I found the cord to be too short for a few uses around my house. not a huge deal, I'm just happy to still get a cord. AND so far its lasted longer than my GF's HTC cable which came appart in 3 months.

Meanwhile $4.50 at monoprice got me a 15ft microUSB cable with larger power wires, and a ferrite block with gold platting connectors, and a 6ft usb extension used for my BR player (completely non DX related).

The 15 ft is crazy overkill. YES it is. surprisingly 8ft wouldn't work, by inches (I mean seriously how often does that happen . . .) and monoprice didn't have a 10 or 12.

(yes I only use it for the charger if you are curious, and when I get ready to hard wire my car, hence when I needed the 8ft)

Upvote 0
Wow, didn't think I'd be lambasted over a USB cord but I guess it is what it is. I said it was my only beef with the DX so it's a lot less than many of you have with it. Anyway, the length is a little short because I can't put the phone on my nightstand from the power strip on the floor right beneath it. So, yeah having to put it on the floor to charge when my Eris' cord was plenty long enough is a little annoying for such an expensive phone.

BTW, that desktop charger that verizon has, can I use it with the case I have on my phone or do I have to remove it? Deal breaker if I have to.

Upvote 0
Well not to lambast you, but you bought the DX for $500 and they threw the 3 foot USB cord in with it.

You're right though, if that's your only beef then that is a lot less than some others on here. I myself took issue with a 4.3 inch screen device having only a 1540 mAh battery included. The cord was a little short for what I use it for, but I have plenty of extenders laying around because I've always ran into that problem (as BV pointed out, that's the length just about everything ships with... my extenders are left over from my Blackberry purchases).

Glad you're enjoying the rest of the $500 dollar package.

Upvote 0
Why do you need a 4-6 feet cable to charge your phone?

I like to use my phone as an alarm clock so it needs to sit on my night stand, the provided cable will not reach from the outlet right behind my night stand to the top of the night stand. The 3 or 4 foot one I had from my bb is perfect but this 2' piece is useless for most people. I now use it solely to connect it to my pc and then it has to sit on the pc

Upvote 0
So some really came with a 2 foot cord? I just measured mine, 3 feet 2 inches from end to end.

That's strange... it seems as though it'd be a bigger headache to switch from a 3 foot cable to a 2 foot cable than it would be any sort of savings to Verizon. Unless for some reason their 3 foot supplier upped their price and they took a bath on them.

Upvote 0
Droid X's? As far as I know there were hundreds of thousands sold.

Sorry, small joke. There was a thread a while back about a guy saying that the wifi network identifier id was actually the build number of your DX.

Come to find out its just a randomly assigned 4 digit number. But it was only 4 digits, thus Motorola only built 9999 units.

According to the theory. Had to see the orginal thread, the OP got clowned pretty good and I think it got locked.

I know they made quite a few (maybe even 3 million by now). Even then it could be significant value in saved wire over the entire production run.

Course one day you might not get a cable for free, or a charger dongle either.

Think about it, eventually everyone will have a usb wall adapter rated around 850mA (blackberries, ours, iphones etc etc) and you will have a microUSB cable. Thus the manufacturer won't be obligated to give you one, and thus save another 5 dollars.

Hell it would even be greener, think about all those cables and adapters and the like not being made and sold by the millions and then thrown away. Just re-task the items.

(sorry, had to do it)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones