• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CNET Evo review

The HTC Evo 4G ships with a 1500mAh lithium ion battery, but Sprint did not release numbers for talk time or standby time. We are still conducting our battery drain tests, but with moderate use and a 4G connection, the smartphone was able to last about 12 hours before needing a recharge. With heavy usage, we were running for an outlet within a few hours and the mobile hot-spot feature definitely drains the battery quickly, so keep your charger or extra battery handy. We'll update this section as soon as we have final results from our battery test.

Hmm, looking forward to the updated results.

Reactions: elchingon666
Upvote 0
It seems to me that logic would tell you that when using the EVO's "hot spot" feature, the battery is being used at an inordinately high rate of draw. So having the phone plugged into it's charger should be a given, unless the "hot spot" feature is used for a very short period of time.

I know the phone I have now, an Omnia, when used heavily, (i.e. tqalking, texting, checking email, and surfing the web) the battery won't make it a full day. But if I use it normally, I can get 2 days easily out of it. It has a 1440 mAh battery.

When I get my EVO, and I'm leaning hard in that direction, I'll purchase a spare battery and keep it fully charged. (Just in case) I'm also hoping they have available a HD battery for it. Like a 2400 mAh or so. I carry my phone in a pouch attached to my pants pocket, so whether the phone is 1/2in or 9/16in thick doesn't much matter to me.

I remain: patiently/impatiently waiting for the htc EVO 4G to be released.

Upvote 0
"We also watched a couple of Hulu videos, which required a few seconds to load, but played back without interruption"

All of my dreams have come true....

I think she's talking about with her laptop using the hotspot feature.

Setup was a breeze with the preloaded Sprint Hotspot app, allowing us to connect the Evo to our Lenovo T61 laptop and iPod Touch with no problem. We used Speedtest.net to measure the Evo's download and upload speeds throughout the day, and the Evo averaged download speeds of 3.42Mbps and upload speeds of 0.93Mpbs and reached a peak speed of 4.76Mpbs. Using a 4G connection, we were able to upload a 2MB picture in 18 seconds, and a 93.9MB zipped music file took 5 minutes and 20 seconds to download. We also watched a couple of Hulu videos, which required a few seconds to load, but played back without interruption; it was the same with YouTube videos, and the difference between YouTube HQ and standard definition videos is noticeable and much appreciated

Upvote 0
CNET always links relative content from their site. The review was favorable, so why get up tight about issues the review finds? All seem valid points, except the "less zippy" comments. The reviewer should have validated as to why, or confirm impressions, since should be same as Incredible, due to OS and hardware.

Upvote 0
Didn't find the CNet review informative enough. They could have spent more time showing the feature issues they had rather than commenting on them. I still don't know what she meant by "not zippy" - on another 3rd party app, with every app running wide open in the background, or something that wouldn't be done under normal conditions?

The comment about the $10 was a unnecessary. I can't remember ever seeing or hearing a comment about any other carrier's plan costs or charges. Didn't even try to balance it by noting that despite the charge, it's still the best unlimited 3G/4G value you can get today and probably for a long time coming.

Upvote 0
Yeah it seems like since Engadget released their review yesterday, everyone and their mother is coming out with a half assed incomplete reviews just to get traffic.

All the sites have been so infatuated with iPhones for so long it's like they really didn't know how to do an unbiased review. Really, the reviews are more comparisons to iPhones but the iPhone isn't present.

I'll be curious to see if they do good head-to-head dogfights against the Evo. That's where this baby's going to shine!:cool:

Upvote 0
The comment about the $10 was a unnecessary. I can't remember ever seeing or hearing a comment about any other carrier's plan costs or charges. Didn't even try to balance it by noting that despite the charge, it's still the best unlimited 3G/4G value you can get today and probably for a long time coming.

JMO, maybe the only reason they covered it all is due to the complaining that is so rampant about it. That in itself may have made it newsworthy.

Upvote 0
Didn't find the CNet review informative enough. They could have spent more time showing the feature issues they had rather than commenting on them. I still don't know what she meant by "not zippy" - on another 3rd party app, with every app running wide open in the background, or something that wouldn't be done under normal conditions?

Yeah, I wish she would elaborate on the less zippy part of the review. Maybe it was because she downloaded a ton of apps that ran in the background and had the live wallpaper enabled; when i do that on my cousins' two incredibles, the phone starts to stutter and lag noticeably, especially when using leap and scrolling through apps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones