CNET Review is up!General

Last Updated:

1. shadrap

shadrap Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. Gremlyn1

Gremlyn1 Well-Known Member

Good find and a good review, thanks for posting!

3. glomgold

glomgold Member

Thanks for the heads up.

The video review isn't working for me, and the written review failed to talk about many of the things I believe a good review should discuss. They didn't even comment on the kind of battery life they experienced, come on. It seems to me like they rushed to get the first review up, since there are only a few new details about the phone in this review.

Another thing - of all the images I've seen of the Moment, it haven't seen an LED notification light anywhere and this review certainly didn't clear that concern up for me. I would assume that if the LED were absent, that would be something a reviewer would likely mention :confused: If Samsung failed to include an LED, I'll be baffled. That was an annoying exclusion that both my iPhone and Pre didn't have.

4. Gremlyn1

I consider anything on the Moment that I haven't read before "good" just because it helps feed my hunger for more ;)

As for the LED notification, my current phone doesn't have one and quite honestly, I've never thought about it. I guess I look at my phone often enough to not need to be reminded when I have a message.

5. bmbriefs

bmbriefs Member

I'm a little dissapointed that they dinged this phone for lag. I was hoping this would be less laggy than the Sprint Hero, but it sounds like it is more. I guess a faster processor doesn't necessarily mean faster performance on all tasks.

6. bmbriefs

bmbriefs Member

7. shadrap

shadrap Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Kinda, seems like both of the posted reviews have the same undertone. I just don't understand how the Moment with an 800mhz processor and vanilla android could experience lag. I like my Hero, but was interested in what the Moment have to offer. Now I know, it has less to offer than the Hero. I will still stop in and check it out.

8. Gremlyn1

I don't think it's really the processor, I think it's the OS. Android just isn't as streamlined as it could be yet, which causes these 'lag' issues. When I went to look at the Hero, I didn't really notice any lag. I am coming from a WinMo phone with HORRIBLE lag. Sure, maybe compared to the iPhone there is some lag...but I dunno, I think it's being blown a little out of proportion.

Granted I haven't spent any length of time with an Android device, so I don't have a real opinion. Only 8 days left!

9. glomgold

glomgold Member

10. bmbriefs

bmbriefs Member

The "android lag" doesn't bother me at all, I'm just worried about relative lag. The cnet reviewer says, "The delay won't be noticeable to Android virgins,but veteran users of the OS should see a change, albeit very small, from other Android handsets."

I'm not sweating about a very small change in lag, but there aren't many other Android handsets on the market and I wonder why the one with the fastest processor is the slowest. I have to admit, I'm somewhat skeptical of the cnet reviewer. Has he tested the different Android devices head-to-head? Otherwise, how can he discern a "very small" change in lag?

PC mag's review showed some numbers- Moment is 60% faster than Hero in benchmarks, with 45% faster startup. The reviewer said that App launching was the same speed regardless of phone (this must be the Android lag). The mobile burn reviewer said that the moment has nearly twice the download speed that the hero has from the same location. Overall, it seems like there is significant performance improvements from the Hero to the Moment.

Think I just sold myself on it!

11. glomgold

glomgold Member

Here's another video from Mobile Burn. Looks like part 2 of their unboxing video. The phone looks pretty snappy to me, I really don't know what CNET is talking about.

YouTube - mobileburn's Channel

12. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Well 2 things come to mind about the lag. One, it uses ARM11 which is about as old as pentium 4, mhz clock speed has very little to do with the speed of the device compared to the overall architecture/chipset. Second, Samsung is a somewhat newcomer to Android and the Moment hasn't been out long enough to get any updates which might help with lag. The Hero was very laggy and HTC finally (the Hero has been out for A LOT longer overseas) updated it to help with the lag.

13. dsmithjr

dsmithjr Member

I'm wondering about the notification light as well. I've asked everyone who's reviewed this phone if it's there and no one has answered. If this phone doesn't have LED notification, I'm not interested at all. Really wish someone would just put this to rest.

YES or NO?

14. docprego

docprego Well-Known Member

I agree with it being blown out of proportion. I was coming from an HTC Touch to a T-Mobile G1 a while ago, and that felt like a Ferrari compared to a Yugo. Surely these much newer Android devices must be more than acceptable.

15. wodin

wodin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, I read the review carefully and with interest. I was particularly interested in the OTA Outlook sync feature. If that is actually implemented, it will be a deal maker for me.

I haven

16. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Well Android runs fast if done right. My G1 with Cyanogen 4.2.1 is lightning quick and gets no lag. The whole browser thing will be fixed in 2.0 and if you can find Loccys Better Browser it helps to speed it up, also has wayyy more settings then stock.

17. bmbriefs

bmbriefs Member

More hate for this phone, this time from Gizmodo.
    I wish people would make up there minds... is it faster or slower than the hero? I'd like to see some head-to-head tests.

18. Gremlyn1

Half the reviewers LOVE the track pad, half HATE it. I think MobileBurn has had the best, least biased review so far.

And all they talk about is lag... They try to pin the lag on the phone because it has a faster processor, and it shouldn't lag, but if the OS doesn't work efficiently you're not going to notice a big change when throwing new hardware at it.

As for the Gizmodo review bagging on the release of 1.6 sometime in 2010... he obviously doesn't do his research or have the ability to extrapolate information. I just don't believe that the Moment would get 1.6 in 2010 over just going straight to 2.0. Samsung would be committing self-Androidicide on Sprint if they made a bonehead move like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is Sprint holding back on the OS upgrade, as this time last year they didn't even think Android was good enough for their company.

19. bmbriefs

bmbriefs Member

20. dsmithjr

dsmithjr Member

21. Gremlyn1

22. Gremlyn1

23. bnash972

bnash972 New Member

No, The Moment does not currently have a working LED.

However, just above the screen to the left of the Sprint logo there are three tiny round semi-transparent areas. One of the holes is larger than the other two equally sized holes. I'm totalling guessing at what these might be. This could be the sensor for the flash and or an LED that might be activated with a future Android upgrade???

24. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

This was talked about in another thread.

1 is a Proxiity Sensor. In a call, cover the spot with your finger and watch it black out the screen

1 is a light sensor, which you may, or may not have noticed by now. Again cover the stop with your finger and watch it dim the screen.

The third one is unclear. Many of us believe its a non functioning LED, but thats just a guess really.

25. masbirdies

masbirdies Well-Known Member

the home/menu/back button will flash every so often as a led notification. I just did a factory reset on mine. I forgot which app it was but I clicked on LED Notification. Just like my Instinct, the bottom row of touch buttons would flash every so often...with the phone in sleep mode.