• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
DOWNLOAD AND SAVE THE COMPLETE SET OF SYSTEM AND IMAGE FILES FOR MID9742

PART 1 = MID9742-system.tgz ( 104 MB )
Tempfiles.net : Download -> MID9742-system.tgz

part 2 = Dump Image Files MID9742.zip) ( 9 MB )
Here are the recovery.img / boot.img / bootloader.img / for the MID9742
(contains the MID9742 recovery.img / boot.img / bootloader.img files in zip folder)
Tempfiles.net : Download -> Dump-Image-Files-MID9742.zip

Download both put them in folder and label something like "Complete System/Image Files Dump For MID9742"

Upvote 0
@SonySony
Nice catch. I've created a new post. 9742 Price chase. If you find this thing else where for a good deal, post it there. Also, if you are one of the group that has been waiting for a spectacular price to jump in to this model, keep an eye on that post. Hopefully we can get the 9742 into more hands...it really is an awesome machine (mine arrived earlier and it is terribly exciting).

Upvote 0
So in the thread reference here and now repeated
http://www.*************s.net/forum...firmware-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices.html

We have gottern the 7042 rooted and gapps installed... I believe swalker was able to get his 9742 rooted as well using the stock/rooted fw at that link.

Really once you get a full root, gapps is no problem using an adb push.

So what is missing on the gen 3 tablets is a fw to load that is pre-rooted.

As I mentioned think we have the 7042 and 9742 working..

Upvote 0
So at the link that Patriot list's above, go to post one. Follow the instructions for pushing a rooted image over to your device. Note: You'll wanna use a 32-bit OS on the machine you are running these from as the USB drivers included are 32-bit drivers. I had great success with a XP box.

Once you reboot your device at the end of that first set of instructions, you are rooted. From there jump to page 11 and go down to post 105 Patriot gives us instructions on how to use Android Commander to get the Google play services in place (and its much quicker and easier than fuxing with ABD in my opinion. First time using commander and it took me about two minutes). That's what I did and I'm running a rooted 9742 with Google Play, flash player, Google Music, Gmail...the works. If you run this and it works, make sure to take a second and thank the people involved. Patriot...you're awesome :). Big big thanks to Steev over on that forum for creating the rooted images in the first place...even though he doesn't actually have a Coby device he still took the time to do it just because it was similar to an A10 device he has. And an honorable mention to the other guinea pigs that were part of the test group.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: May 8, 2012

Note: This site does not allow you to link to other similar sites. That makes it very difficult to provide you with instructions to both Root and Install Google Play Store on your Mid9742 or MID7042. (can't link to files and instructions on other site)

So, if you want complete, easy Guide on how Update your MID9742 or MID7042, with Google Play Store pre-installed and rooted too, just GOOGLE:

Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 9742 or Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042

Look for the post by RedDeer. Complete Step, by Step Detailed install Guide.

The whole process only takes 30 minutes.

As RedDeer's instructions say:

YOU NEED NO (Zero) COMPUTER SKILLS OR KNOWLEDGE TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS (DON'T BE AFAID)

WHAT YOU WILL DO: Download ROM File, Download LiveSuite program, Hold 2 buttons and Plug in the USB Cord. Thats all

I upggraded My MID9742. It took 30 minutes with the detailed instructions. Google Play Store (Market) (pre-installed) is running and the tablet is Rooted too. I downloaded Adobe Flash from Google Play Store. Everyting runs Great.

You will lose any apps you have installed, so write down the names for easy re-install.
You will basically end up with a new tablet with Google Play Store pre-installed. Super Easy.

Again, Google:

Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 9742 or Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042
And look for RedDeer's instructions.

Have fun with your new-again Fully Google Tablet

Upvote 0
AFTER MUCH CONDIDERATION, I RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE WHO BOUGHT THE NEW COBY 4.0 TABLETS, 7042, 9742, 1042, ETC SHOULD RETURN YOUR COBY TABLETS FOR A REFUND !

I have an older version, 7127, and have managed to get by after hours and hours of search on the internet and hit and miss fixes. The newest versions 7042, 9742, 1042, etc, seem to be set-up to Prevent Rooting. So you are stuck with what you have and do not have.

After checking around, I find that COBY does not support any of its tablets. Coby does not supply patches to correct problems NOR do they Update The Operating System (Firmware) to future Versions. COBY's support only offers (1) Owners manual and (2) Picture of the tablet. No real support.

I pretty much agree with this. I started out with an 8125 for one reason, I wanted an inexpensive tablet with WiFi and HDMI out to stream internet videos to a flat screen TV. The 8125 did a pretty good job with netflix 1.2.x but after a while I wanted more mobile functions, added a microSD card, a USB keyboard and mouse, then upgraded to the 1126, which is a nice cheap 1024 x 768 tablet. But along the way as I learned more about Android I found the lack of OS updates and lack of support frustrating. The video capabilities are limited and have a hard time with Netflix 1.6.x or 1.7.x.

I moved over to an Acer Iconia A500. Even the notorious slow Acer support is better and all of the online stores (Market, Google, Play Store, etc.) are easy to access. Video playback is much better. This has become my tablet of choice with either a USB or a Bluetooth keyboard when I want a keyboard.

I gave the 8125 to a friend, plan to sell the 1126 with USB keyboard but briefly considered buying a used 8127 or one of the newer ICS xx42 models. Howevber, they just don't seem to be worth the money due to lack of support.

The user who compared Coby with other brands, such as Archos, pretty much summed things up. Coby seems to be more interested in rebranding Chinese models with limited Android support. When discounted they may make an interesting 1st tablet, but as users get more savvy, Coby support disappoints.

Upvote 0
I don't even get the lag...it just works :) Also, for those who are interested in Asian media, Crunchyroll works just fine as well. What doesn't work is Hulu Plus—you can get the modified APK, load up the app, and even the ads will play—but not the shows themselves. Has anyone found one that works?

Try downloading Netflix 1.5.2 or 1.6.0 from ****** dot com. I found the earlier versions are a bit less demanding on the video processor than the more recent netflix 1.7.0 or 1.7.1. Netflix still supports streaming from 1.5.0 or later (although I have no idea how long that would continue) just don't download and install the most recent version if prompted.

Upvote 0
I pretty much agree with this. I started out with an 8125 for one reason, I wanted an inexpensive tablet with WiFi and HDMI out to stream internet videos to a flat screen TV. The 8125 did a pretty good job with netflix 1.2.x but after a while I wanted more mobile functions, added a microSD card, a USB keyboard and mouse, then upgraded to the 1126, which is a nice cheap 1024 x 768 tablet. But along the way as I learned more about Android I found the lack of OS updates and lack of support frustrating. The video capabilities are limited and have a hard time with Netflix 1.6.x or 1.7.x.

I moved over to an Acer Iconia A500. Even the notorious slow Acer support is better and all of the online stores (Market, Google, Play Store, etc.) are easy to access. Video playback is much better. This has become my tablet of choice with either a USB or a Bluetooth keyboard when I want a keyboard.

I gave the 8125 to a friend, plan to sell the 1126 with USB keyboard but briefly considered buying a used 8127 or one of the newer ICS xx42 models. Howevber, they just don't seem to be worth the money due to lack of support.

The user who compared Coby with other brands, such as Archos, pretty much summed things up. Coby seems to be more interested in rebranding Chinese models with limited Android support. When discounted they may make an interesting 1st tablet, but as users get more savvy, Coby support disappoints.

Thats why everyone is here and the guys that came up with the root and the ones that did the hit or miss tries like Sonny.The 9742 has been rooted. Heck the 8125 has been rooted or you can side load the market on to it. Im not flaming but I dont see the point of this post .

Upvote 0
Thats why everyone is here and the guys that came up with the root and the ones that did the hit or miss tries like Sonny.The 9742 has been rooted. Heck the 8125 has been rooted or you can side load the market on to it. Im not flaming but I dont see the point of this post .

The point of the post is while user support is great, if the manufacturer provides limited support it undermines the value of the tablet. I can understand playing with the 8125 (or better, 8127) which can be found cheap, although the lack of a path to ICS is frustrating.

It was nice that Coby released the 8042 and 9742 with ICS and 1GB DDR3 memory, but failing invest in the Android community to make Market and Play Store available out of the box undermines the worth of these new tablets. I don't understand Coby's marketing strategy of being just outside the mainstream community, I don't think they do either.

I say this out of frustration, beacuse I got good use out of both the 8125 and 1126. The day after the package arrived with the 8125 I was streaming Warehouse 13 and Eureka! from Netflix. However, as I learned more about the tablets, Coby's minimal support and lack of an upgrade path was too limiting.

It is unfortunate that Coby seems to cripple their products by making them 90% compatible because the Kyros line generally have had good interfaces for the money. Unless you get a deep discount why buy a Coby 7042 or 9742 when you could pick up an Archos of similar brand and get better support ?

Upvote 0
Because it's intended to be sold in China, Google has nothing to do with Android devices here, they have their own way of doing things e.g. Chinese app stores. Did you buy it from Ebay or a Chinese wholesaler or something?

I just bought it at FRY's as a mothers day gift for my wife. I sure hope Fry's would get them with a OS that is made for the Us and not china.

Damn I bought it BECAUSe it had 4.0 and it was supposed to be up to date.:(

Upvote 0
A Possible Root Of The Other Coby ICS Tablet MID7042

Those of you who already have the MID9742 should read the thread at this site:
==http://www.androidXXXXXtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3/38231-requesting-firmware-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices.html==

Highlight / Copy / Paste (remove Xs and ==)

-- You will need to follow the instruction and provide a dump of the MID9742 .

Sony this does not install I'm getting a error 103 104. i tried this with the table on regular or recovery mode, both times the USB option is turned on under developer settings.

I also did a factory reset since my grand daughter downloaded some paper cut outs in PDf format and noticed that it did reset it BUT it did NOT remove any of the pkotos taken with the tablet. HUM so much for that reset

i have 10 day to take this back to FRY's should I? it's pissing me off these vendors sell stuff that is broken or made to sell in the Asian market under other circumstances:mad:

Upvote 0
Sony
i have 10 day to take this back to FRY's should I? it's pissing me off these vendors sell stuff that is broken or made to sell in the Asian market under other circumstances:mad:
rtoledo
Did you finally get your 9742 flashed to @Steev's Custom ROM using LiveSuit?
--
I flashed my 9742, and it is working just fine.
I just keep remembering that its hard to find a decent 9.7" 4.0 Tab in the $200 price range.
--
If you are still having problems, please provide all the details.

Upvote 0
Guys, there are two versions of the tablet MID9742-8, pay attention to that. I have updated my tablet with the rom created by steev and found out that the touchscreen driver is different. I have a dump of the new MID9742 but I don't know how do update the tablet with the boot, recovery and bootloader image.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same problem. Every Rom I've tried (mostly by searching for Coby Generation 3 in Google, or though threads like this) they've all had inverted axis problems. I've tried overwriting the driver files I found in some other thread, but the problem is persistent.

Can anyone point us in the right direction? So far I'm just after stock installation, so I can start from scratch. It's not my tablet so it's sitting unused for a few weeks.

Upvote 0
I need some advice please.
I purchased a Coby MID9742 (model A37LG), and loaded the cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1 (1).zip with LiveSuitPack_v1.07. After it finished my tablet restarted, the android logo comes up, and then the screen goes off, but I think it is still on, because if you plug in the USB it registers on the PC. I can force it off by pressing the power for 10 seconds and start it again, but the same happens.
I have tried system recovery mode and wipe data factory reset but it does the same.
Is have tried other img

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones