Cognition is AWESOME

Last Updated:

1. maverick999

maverick999 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I was having some issues with my phone being unresponsive and slow, so I decided to flash the Cognition ROM. I LOVE my phone now! It's super snappy and the GPS is quick. I would highly recommend it to anyone that's not 100% happy with the Cappy. ;)

Download Cognition!

Advertisement
    calsax likes this.
  2. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member

It's definitely a nice ROM. I think you'll find the GPS degrades after a week or so. But we're all in that boat. I'm looking forward to the JH8 update.

3. Prim8

Prim8 Well-Known Member

I think it's worthwhile to load Cognition just to get the latest stock ROM plus voodoo lagfix, root and sideloading built in.

4. bword

bword Well-Known Member

Better than UTB??

5. kak

kak Member

UTB is a tool to root and remove bloatware. Cognition is a ROM that alters the kernel, includes a lagfix, and alters quite a few system files to make the phone faster / gps more responsive. Its SRE with a new name.

6. bword

bword Well-Known Member

Mannnnnnn I am so effin lost lol. So basically UTB is almost like a theme whereas Cognition is a whole new OS??

7. KonaZXIII

KonaZXIII Banned

All Cognition got me was a brick. lol

IIRC, UTB is just a rooting tool and you kepp the stock ROM.

8. Prim8

Prim8 Well-Known Member

Then you probably did something wrong.

9. kak

kak Member

There are plenty of problems with Cognition/SRE. I couldn't get SRE to load on my phone at all without constant freezing/reboots. After trying to load it a few different ways and using the Odin-1click to restore, I got tired of it and loaded JH7 w/UTB. I then installed the Voodoo fix and haven't looked back.

10. gocats7

gocats7 Well-Known Member

Which cognition rom are you guys running? I had 2.1.1 on and I have seen a lot of problems reference in recent versions. Im waiting for a stable version that does not wipe apps and data which I hope to come soon.

I really really liked cognition. I have EVER intention of going back to it soon. My GPS with all the tweaks I have done has been and stayed stable. Im hoping that if I do the same to cognition (if its not already stable) I can get it back to this point again. I have no complaints about GPS on my phone. No its not perfect but it is certainly good enough to use as a phone GPS to help me in a pinch and then some.

11. gocats7

gocats7 Well-Known Member

At this point I am looking for how 2.1.6 goes with GPS, battery life, and mobileAP. Otherwise I will probably go with 2.1 or 2.1.1

12. Gipson

Gipson Well-Known Member

running 2.1.6 and i must say, my phone is having the best battery life i've ever seen out of it! including the previous cog versions. great work :D

[​IMG]

13. George0211

George0211 Well-Known Member

What are the known bugs with it? I tried following it on xda forums, but it's just insane how large those threads gets.

14. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

Ive been Using cog 2.2Beta3 for about a week. It is an amazing ROM and IMHO the way this phone should be. Bloatware gone, much faster, better features, Froyo, better battery life, improved GPS ( Much better but not perfect either).

I havent run into any major issues with it. The only issues I have had with it have been super small. Like When you are at the lock screen just after hanging up a call, the "emergency call" button says, "resume Call". That changes back after you kill the screen (short press on power button). I have only noticed small temporary UI glitches like this one

If you read the FAQ page he links on the very first post where you can download the ROM, it usually lists the changelog and known issues. So far I think it's awesome! It saved me from ditching my Capt.

The guy really knows his stuff and lately has been updating the ROM almost every other day. Im running beta3 and Beta4 is out now. Ill hold off for a week or so and see where he is at then. I dont have time to reflash my phone every other day :)

Just so you know that flashing your ROM and all that will void your warrenty and make sure you follow the directions well. If something goes wrong or you screw up, it could be a very frusterating fix. Make sure you back up your Apps with TiBu and use clockwork to make a backup of your current rom. You will also use clockwork together with Rom manager to flash Cog. Also make sure you download the 1click Odin (linked on the Cog FAQ page) in case it all goes to hell, you can use 1click Odin to revive your brick back to stock.

15. Jirv311

Jirv311 Active Member

Agreed. I just loaded 2.2 beta 4 today and can't put my phone down. My battery life has noticeably improved and I'm loving Froyo.

16. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

Beta5 is out now. Beta6 might be out before I finish typing this post. :)

17. oldTech

oldTech Member

Guys, can ya'll help me understand something....
    I get that the Cognition 2.2 flash is a ROM flash, but is it also considered a SW Update such as Froyo?
    Or, is Froyo a ROM upgrade too?
    Are they the same thing?

I'm getting there, but still confused on a few things.
    Thanks guys!

EDIT: Or maybe what I'm trying to ask is if this is a kernel upgrade?

rickygotskills likes this.
  18. eelton

eelton Member

Not yet, but beta5.5 is!

19. Jirv311

Jirv311 Active Member

Cognition is a modified version of the leaked 2.2 Froyo for the Captivate. So it's technically both. :)

20. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

And the leaked Android 2.2 is an unfinished buggy development build designed for internal testing.

21. tazman171

tazman171 Active Member

And when you don't know what's been done to the leaked froyo rom by dg and the cog team don't talk! :rolleyes: This leak is dated Sep 28th btw so not the same leak that's been around screwing everyone up for 2 months.

I've been running b5 for 3 days now and it's awesome to say the least, especially gps and battery life. I had 2.2 b1 for awhile, then 2.2 b4 for a few before going to 2.2 b5.

It's just over all much smoother, so much so that I haven't even installed the lag fixes, there's just no difference in actual use without them. Of course my quadrant score is only in the 1100 range but it's well documented that it was written for snapdragon processors and has no bearing on real world use.

So of course it's a beta but devs have got a well working rom now, I personally think it was leaked for that reason, they (Samsung) were stuck and are going to take the best of what's been done and throw it into the update. LOL, kidding, but the Cog rom rules and very easy to do if you read up on it.

22. tazman171

tazman171 Active Member

It's a full meal deal, OS, Data, kernel, its all new like going from Vista to Win 7. Newr, cleaner and oh so much better than the previous one (used vista reference just for that :p).

23. bword

bword Well-Known Member

running 2.2 beta 5 all weekend. So far so good, battery is ehh..but I believe thats my own fault and have yet to master the battery game.

24. Jirv311

Jirv311 Active Member

I completely agree. I wouldn't call it any more buggy than 2.1 is. Performance is tremendously better and so is battery life. No lag fix necessary. It's not like Froyo itself is still Beta.

25. looksbetterinred

looksbetterinred Well-Known Member

I've looked but had no luck.... maybe I'm just missing it somewhere. can Cog be rooted?