Cold Rain and Snow

1. burtondroid

burtondroid Active Member

I am out in the woods alot.
    Usually I used some rugged type of flip phone and never had a problem.

How well does the droid hold up to being out in the cold winter weather?

Do I have to put this thing into 3 layers of protective pouches or what?

thanks

Advertisement
  2. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

The cold itself shouldn't be a problem but if it's snowing hard and your using it that will most likely fry it is any snow melts. Dropping it would be very very bad too. I would use a pouch to be safe.
  3. Ras110

Ras110 Member

I took mine skiing yesterday, it was about -8 with wind chill. It was fine :). I had it in my pocket and it was freezing when I later made a call in the lodge, but worked fine. It wasn't snowing so I didn't have it in direct snow or any wet conditions, but other than that it was fine!
  4. gregbridwell

gregbridwell Well-Known Member

I have been noticing odd behavior in mine in the cold. Screen loses some responsiveness IMO.
  5. Geoj

Geoj Guest

Mine only reacted weird once to the cold weather, I just turned it off and turned it back on once it warmed up a little bit and I needed to use it...
  6. salimundo

salimundo Active Member

I took mine snowboarding and it was fine. I didn't drop it orget snow on it but I did touch it with wet finger. Also as a side not, sprotstracker is an amazing app for tracking speed, distance elevation and other stats.
  7. Geoj

Geoj Guest

I also took mine up to the mountain after the one time I explained and had no problems. That sounds like a pretty interesting app..
  8. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

I took mine to the movies. We saw Avatar. Next weekend we're going camping.

Just kidding:p. I was out in 19 degree Texas frost for most of Saturday. Had it in my pocket. Used it twice even though my fingers were semi-numb. Worked like a champ... still does. Didn't think that it could have potentially been damaged till I read your thread. Either way, it's still going strong.
  9. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Well-Known Member

When I go skiing I seal my phone in a small Ziploc bag. I worry about condensation from temperature changes when I go from being in the cold into a warm room.
  10. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

lol
  11. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Also: Zip lock bag
  12. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Any lcd will slow down when they get cold. I used to have a car with a lcd speedo. Made it all the way to work one day with it saying 0Mph. Yea, the heater sucked in that car too. It was around -30F that morning.
  13. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

lol

i wish it would warm up to 19