Coldest maximum temperature safe for an AMOLED display?Support

Last Updated:

1. junkeeroo

junkeeroo Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Up here in Toronto, Canada, getting ready for first winter where temperatures can dip to -30C (-22F) with my nexus one. I read that amoled displays can handle cold weather well, but what is the lowest they can handle?

Thanks.

Btw, it's ironic that I couldn't search this topic in the forum on my android phone as the pop up search window keeps closing.

Advertisement
  2. Soupdragon

Soupdragon Well-Known Member

Well it was -11 deg C here yesterday and my fingertips were so cold they didn't register on the screen. It wasn't the screen temp that was the issue as that was warm from being in my pocket.

3. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Few days ago I left my phone to charge in my car while working and when I picked it up a few hours later, internal temperature was 2

4. junkeeroo

Ya, pocket warmth is a good thing, but what about if the phone is needed outside in -30C (-22F) for five minutes? Will the contrast of the cold and the screen warming up damage the screen?

5. junkeeroo

Ok, I got the definitive answer...AMOLED screens function properly in very cold temperatures! Read here from the "HTC Desire stress test." They stuck the phone into the freezer for 2 hours. There's also an accompanying video to show you the phone post-freezer:

2.6 Freeze test
    It was time to carry out the freeze test. We found out for how long the HTC Desire could work in extremely cold weather and how the AMOLED screen was good at performing in such conditions. Actually we put the phone in a freezer for 2 hours. It was in a speaking mode throughout all the experiment.

Unfortunately the HTC Desire failed this test. The battery became absolutely empty in an hour (video 9). We plugged in the battery charger to supply the phone with power and started examining it. The display performed well. The touch screen was still very sensitive in spite of the fact that it was frozen. But the keys were really bad. We did not hear the clicking sound of the buttons that was always produced when we pressed them. But then we warmed the phone and the buttons started to function well again.

Video 9. Freeze test