com.google.process.gapps stopped and play store won't openSupport

1. nicolanicola

nicolanicola Member

Ok so I have been through loads of threads already and tried the steps there, before anyone pulls me up for not searching the forum.

So I get the
    message. I try to open the play store and the play store opens the window then immediately shuts down.

This is what I have tried already.

1. Removed my google account and then addedit again and restarted

2. Gone to manage applications, clear cache and data & force stop on all google apps. Removed my google account. Retarted. Opened play store, which then prompted for a google email and password. Hit Next. I get Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped, play store closes, and every time I open it it shuts again.

My phone is not rooted. It's only about 3 weeks old. I'm seriously ****** off with it. I just made the move from iPhone to Android and bittering regretting it now. On the verge of selling it and getting an iPhone 5.

If anyone can help ease my frustration and pain with this issue and help me love Android again I'd be very grateful.

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Your options are either Factory Resetting the device, which will delete all of your data...or side loading the Gapps store again since it could be within there.

Your easiest route would be just to factory reset though.
  3. nicolanicola

nicolanicola Member

What does side loading mean?
  4. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

It may be worth uninstalling updates for Google play store and then clearing data again and reboot your phone.
  5. Shotgun84

Installing an app using a downloaded .apk
  6. nicolanicola

nicolanicola Member

Thank you.

There are no updates to uninstall. I think I tried that yesterday.
  7. Shotgun84

Did you clear data for Google framework services as well?
  8. nicolanicola

nicolanicola Member

Sorry to sound like a newb, but what's an apk? Does it mean I'd need to root my phone?

Yep
  9. Shotgun84

An apk is just the file format apps are. You don't need to be rooted to install them.
    I've extracted the apk from my phone and have pm'd you the link.
  10. nicolanicola

nicolanicola Member

Thank you. I done that, but same issue.

How is the best way to backup my phone so it looks exactly the same as now? I have a custom launcher installed (Nova) and lots of widgets. On Kies, it's like taking an unbelievable amount of time to backup the apps, I hoped there was a quicker way? Its going to take hours.
  11. nicolanicola

nicolanicola Member

thats it
    . It's been on 2 of 102 for about 15 minutes now. Is that normal?
  12. Shotgun84

I'm not the best person to ask about kies as I've never used it as I'm rooted and use the root alternatives. That doesn't sound right though, hopefully someone with kies experience can chime in.
  13. jalirious

jalirious New Member

Hi. I had the same problem with the gapps / google play flash on - off. n7. 4.2

I fixed it just now without a factory reset. I've been drinking and did not list my steps, hopefully this will be legit.
    -> Settings -> Apps -> ALL
    * remove all updates, wipe all data from google play, google play services.
    * clear data & disable Downloads
    * reboot
    * enable Downloads

Hope this works for you.
  14. mshopeful

mshopeful New Member

I had to register just to post bc you SAVED MY WHOLE LIFE TONIGHT LOL
    This worked perfectly for me & I almost scrapped everything to start over & reset my phone.

I'm so thankful to you... and anyone else who has this problem, it works so you can breathe again!!! Lol thank you sooooooooo much! :)

Ps. Kudos on figuring it out w drinks lol
  15. chloetsb

chloetsb New Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH~!!!
    i've purposely register an account just to thank you so much~!!! it's work on my note 2 too~
  16. danicantao

danicantao New Member

Hi there,

I tried this but i still get the msg
    "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped "

and my play store still wont open... i dont know what im doing wrong... any ideas?
  17. thepervster

thepervster Active Member

try going to your application manager, then scroll to the right to all apps,go to the very bottom and see if downloads is at the bottom if it is enable it and see if that helps.
    jillfish3, saltz and funkylogik like this.
  18. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Good idea man. Maybe he's disabled a google app :thumbup::thumbup:
  19. SpireiteJoe

SpireiteJoe New Member

^Genius!

I was going to Tescos in order to buy a new phone because i was sick of having like 4 out-off-date Apps when I thought id take one more look and see if there was anything I hadn't tried yet.

It worked straight away and had to sign on to let this site know. I've been here a couple times now and the advice here is priceless :) Its saved me Endless amounts of
  20. joe1145

joe1145 New Member

Worked perfectly! this was the second time this had happened the first time i did a backup with Kies and then did a factory reset and restored my data from kies, but i lost alot of my app data and had to start alot of games again. i also lost all of my settings which was annoying. You've saved me alot of time and hassle, so i had to sign up just to thank you.
  21. kdbeesh

kdbeesh New Member

I was at wits end. This worked great. THANK YOU!
  22. Smiddy621

Smiddy621 New Member

Hopefully the fix posted earlier worked for you as it worked for me!

My recommendation about this issue is to get an SD card and get a file explorer app (I personally use Astro link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metago.astro ). The biggest you would need is 8GB but I recommend 16GB or more for music and picture backups, too. Astro has a feature that back up all your installed app installation files (.apk) onto your SD card. After that remove the card, factory reset, and plug it back in and install Astro and then have it restore all the backed up apps. It's an amazing timesaver!

On a note of personal preference, I try to avoid anything connecting my mobile to a cloud database, especially one provided by manufacturer (Kies) because the speeds will never be what you get with SkyDrive or Google Drive (all free services).
    javamann likes this.
  23. imnotevensure

imnotevensure New Member

Would this only wipe out my apps? Or would my songs and pictures whatnot be at risk too? Sorry if its a stupid question..
  24. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Welcome to AF!!
    No it will not wipe your apps. And your pictures and songs will be o.k.

You are just dealing with the PlayStore/Play Services data/updates etc...not any other app.

And it's not a stupid question, that's how we learn here, so no worries....ask anything :D
  25. Just A Mom

Just A Mom New Member

I have been struggling with this for a couple months now!!!! You are purely awesome, my friend! It worked beautifully! Thank you so much for taking away all of my frustrations! I am forever grateful!