• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help com.htc.bg error

SynisterWolf

Android Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2010
Sunny California
i keep getting this error msg every hour... "com.htc.bg" stopped working please try again later.

This has been happening to me for a week now and i think i found a way to stop it but now i dont get facebook updates under my contacts..

in the "accounts and sync" settings under HTC facebook sence i turned off news feeds and it has stoped.

Anyone else having this problem???

have you tried a factory reset? or call verizon... i fixed mine once but i was rooted

Did a reset. and it did not fix. i called vzw but the only thing they said they could do is send me a new one. and they wont send a new phone only a refurb. but the email i got from HTC said its a known issues and they said it had something to do with facebook and there updated they just did and they told me they would get back to me in a couple of days.

Upvote 0
well im out of ideas it seems like you have to make some choices rather you want to wait and see or not... :(

I have been reading on other forums and they said they got there phone replaced and it still did it. imo i dont even check my friend status in my phone book so i dont really care. i was just wondering if anyone found a fix. Thank you for your help though

Upvote 0
i keep getting this error msg every hour... "com.htc.bg" stopped working please try again later.

This has been happening to me for a week now and i think i found a way to stop it but now i dont get facebook updates under my contacts..

in the "accounts and sync" settings under HTC facebook sence i turned off news feeds and it has stoped.

Anyone else having this problem???

Same exact problem on my 1 day old Incredbile. Started when I was first getting it activated at the Verizon store. I called HTC and they told me it's a problem with the background sync progam and they've seen a few phones do it. Then the guy from HTC told me I need a new phone. I called Verizon and since my phone is only 2 days old (under the 30 day period) they're sending me a brand new one...will be here tomorrow morning.

Upvote 0
Ok.....after reading the initial post here I went and forced Facebook for HTC sence to sync and I got that pop-up window. So as the initial post stated it is definately related to Facebook for HTC Sense. I called HTC and they did verify that it is a known problem and started happening when Facebook updated their program. I was told the fix would be in the Andriod 2.2 update and there is no release date from them for that update to happen.

Upvote 0
Actually I think that is the error you get (or I got) when removing Calendar Provider and synced the rest of my google account after.

If I was you I would go into manage applications and clear data for all google and facebook sync related apps/widgets and see if that fixes it up.

Upvote 0
Actually I think that is the error you get (or I got) when removing Calendar Provider and synced the rest of my google account after.

If I was you I would go into manage applications and clear data for all google and facebook sync related apps/widgets and see if that fixes it up.

did not fix it. i also did another factory reset and nada.... i still get the error msg on my work phone. on my personal phone i have 2.2 and it works....

i only have to wait till 2.2 officially releases and i wont have to worry anymore. until then i have to deal i guess.

Upvote 0
There are a bunch of suggested fixes in this thread (http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/59163-process-com-htc-bg-has-stopped-unexpectedly-please-try-again-wtf.html) you could try.

Here's a cut and paste of some of the notable mentioned fixes:

"We have found the fix! go to the PEOPLE(contact list) app. Go to the Online Directories (globe) tab. Hit Facebook. You will be asked to log in to your Facebook account. Once logged in, it will show all of you contacts on your Facebook account. Go back to the full list of your contacts on the phone and try and sync."

"So I don't know if this will work for everyone that is having this issue.. but it looks as though the apostrophe in my Irish last name may be causing my facebook sync issue.
- went to facebook and changed my last name (removed the apostrophe)
- removed the facebook htc sync on my phone from settings>Accounts & Sync
- re-added the Facebook for HTC sync
Then my contacts started loading.
I'm going to change it back to having the apostrophe later to see if it breaks it again."

Upvote 0
There are a bunch of suggested fixes in this thread (http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-...topped-unexpectedly-please-try-again-wtf.html) you could try.

Here's a cut and paste of some of the notable mentioned fixes:

"We have found the fix! go to the PEOPLE(contact list) app. Go to the Online Directories (globe) tab. Hit Facebook. You will be asked to log in to your Facebook account. Once logged in, it will show all of you contacts on your Facebook account. Go back to the full list of your contacts on the phone and try and sync."

"So I don't know if this will work for everyone that is having this issue.. but it looks as though the apostrophe in my Irish last name may be causing my facebook sync issue.
- went to facebook and changed my last name (removed the apostrophe)
- removed the facebook htc sync on my phone from settings>Accounts & Sync
- re-added the Facebook for HTC sync
Then my contacts started loading.
I'm going to change it back to having the apostrophe later to see if it breaks it again."

i saw this article but it did not help me. i dont have apostrophes or any thing like that in anyone's names. i dont have a problem with them syncing pictures or names, but if i check the news feed sync that is when it bugs out. thanks for the help though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones