com.htc.provider force quit in peep, but only on wifi

Last Updated:

1. clockwork

clockwork Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i have had a problem with peep in the last day that only occurs when im on wifi... this is manifested when i update peep which provokes the message "the process com.htc.provider has stopped unexpectedly. please try again" and the need to force quit the process. is there anyway to fix this? should i uninstall peep and reinstall it? does anyone have a copy of peep?

thanks in advance for any help provided

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Try clearing the Peep cache in "Manage Applications". Twitter reset the maximum status ID yesterday and it can cause probs with some clients. A simple cache clear is reported to work with Peep.

3. clockwork

i had cleared that cache from the settings in peep already, so instead i went to manage apps and deleted all stored data and it worked perfectly

thank you very much...

what did twitter change yesterday, what is maximum status ID?

4. clockwork

it has now gone back to acting up, is it possible that this twitter update is messing up the HTC server and that they need to fix it before it will start t work on peep?

5. TafKas

TafKas New Member

Mine too, same issue here, must be something changed at their end. I'm also unlucky enough to also have the Vodfone issue, tried fixing it once but to no avail. Wonder if HTC will update Peep to sort the issue out?

6. Slug

See here, although I'm none the wiser myself.

FYI, Peep is functioning fine here and I haven't had to clear the cache or data so I assume it depends on individual circumstances.

7. hercandcarver

hercandcarver New Member

i updated my ROM to the latest official HTC orange 2.whatever last night and then started to get this problem. my girlfriend is on the original ROM and her peep is working fine!

8. sup

sup New Member

Hi there,

I have the same problem here in the Netherlands. Updated my Hero with the official firmware release last week and since a day or two Peep won't retrieve new tweets.. Instead it loads a while and I get the "has stopped unexpectedly"-message. I like the way Peep works, so I haven't yet felt the need to try any other mobile Twitter-app.. Hope there will be a solution soon..

9. hercandcarver

hercandcarver New Member

im hoping it gets fixed, it's a bit annoying. trying twidroid at the moment, but rather peep because it has a widget instead of a program shortcut.not the end of the world but was better when it worked!

10. sup

sup New Member

Damn, could it be that we are actually victims of the second Twitpocalypse? (As noted in Slug's link.) That's kinda sad in a way.. :p Explanation here.

11. clockwork

its getting a little worse, its happened three times now that my phone has reset the home screen after the error message when trying to sync new tweets. by reset the home screen i mean it clears everything and has the loading screen until it reloads all of the widgets and shortcuts, just like when you boot the phone. anyone else getting this as well?

12. sup

sup New Member

Yup, I got the same problem after trying it a couple of times. I think I'm gonna wait this one out and leave Peep alone for now, hoping it'll be fixed soon. There are enough alternatives, but still..

13. Slug

More on "Twitpocalypse II" here

14. clockwork

thanks you very much for that link, i guess it has confirmed our fears, no more peep for a while guys!!! i will miss the very useful widget...

on another note, how does HTC update its apps if we dint download them from them from the market? a new ROM?

or do you think its a problem at their end?

15. Slug

Well, mine has continued to work with any problems. It's not a universal issue.

The problem is most likely in the way Peep stores those status IDs, so it's local to the client.

16. clockwork

I wonder if the Twitter changes are ongoing and haven't changed all the accounts as of yet

17. sup

sup New Member

18. clockwork

Ok good, can't wait for the update...
    Hope they would have done something about it before Twitter decided to do the "stress test"

19. clockwork

IT WORKS NOW, ITS ALL OVER, CRISIS AVERTED!!!

thanks to HTC for solving the problem...

i can now go back to following flyered's non-stop month long journey around the USA by airplane without leaving the airports...

20. ranger79

ranger79 New Member

Hi,

May I know what did you do? Is there an update or fix released by HTC? If so, where to get it?

21. Nemmy

Nemmy Active Member

Hmmmm mine still has the same problem. I cleared cache and settings but it still gives me the Force Quit error :/ and no Tweet from HTC about solving the issue yet.

22. CitizenErazed

CitizenErazed Well-Known Member

Still the same for me too, I cleared cache yesterday, appeared to fix the problem, but as soon as I get over 100 tweets or so I start getting the force close error again. Interestingly enough it only happens when I'm on mobile net, WiFi is fine.

23. Nemmy

Nemmy Active Member

Clockwork, is yours still working ok now?

24. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

Twitpocalypse! That explains it. I wondered what the hell was going on.

25. clockwork

yes my exultation was premature... it worked yesterday but today its back to force quits...

have people been experiencing two force quit messages? the original one i posted, and for the first time i have experienced this one below... have people had this one all along or is it new? if new this might suggest that HTC have done some changes, or that the twitpocalypse is getting worse.

"the application peep (process com.htc.twitter) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"