Combo USB/Audio Out CableAccessories

Last Updated:

1. Brian Rubin

Brian Rubin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey y'all, how are ya? I'm writing because I've been looking for a specific type of accessory that I can't seem to find anywhere, so I'm unsure whether it exists or not.

Basically, for my iPhone, I had an awesome cable that was both a USB and an audio jack connector. Connecting the phone put the volume control in the stereo rather than on the phone, which made it much easier to use in the car. It was something like this.

I've been looking everywhere for something similar for my EVO, yet can't find anything. Do y'all know if something like this exists? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. SARC

SARC Active Member

The USB port on the Evo does not support Audio out (sadly) This seems to be a bit of a backwards step by HTC because on my old TyTn it did. Oh well..... If you want audio from the Evo in your car, the best method I've found so far is to use a bluetooth receiver like this..... Amazon.com: Miccus BBMR-02 BluBridge Portable Stereo Mini-jack (1/8 Inch) Output- Bluetooth Stereo Music Receiver: Electronics (Assuming your car stereo has an aux in)

This way I don;t need to connect any wires to my Evo while it's in the car, although with streaming bluetooth music and GPS, etc, it is pretty tough on battery life so I usuaully do connect up a charger to the bottom micro usb port.

3. typoerror

typoerror Well-Known Member

today i hooked my evo up to my cars head unit via the supplied usb cable. i selected 'mount as hard drive'. the receiver controls everything. it went straight to my music folder and started playing music. it even charged the phone while playing.

i have a 4 year old pioneer premier head unit, the 2nd cheapest one that was available.

4. Brian Rubin

Oh boo, thanks for the info, Sarc! I'll look into that BT thing, but the cable works just as well I s'pose.

Typo, seriously? That's really cool!

5. typoerror

typoerror Well-Known Member

yep, seriously. when i plugged my phone in today it picked up where it left off yesterday. i thought it would start from the beginning again. i thought it was pretty cool.

today i selected 'charge only' and it charged at its normal rate. yesterday when i selected hard drive it was a trickle charge.

6. Xak

Xak Member

You can use the USB mount option, but this will not work for other audio from the phone like Pandora or streaming radio, and you will be unable to access the SD card on the device while mounted by your car's stereo (just like the USB mount option on your computer). Bluetooth is a good solution if you want full audio support in your car.

7. Brian Rubin

Would that bluetooth thing be a problem if I also was using a bluetooth speakerphone?