Comcast AppGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Mr. Link

Mr. Link Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I heard Comcast is FINALLY creating an app to control your DVR. Any idea when it's coming out?

Advertisement
  2. cortecds

cortecds Well-Known Member

Yah, when will thesse companies learn that Iphone is not the only smart phone out there?

3. Mr. Link

Interesting point as prior to this device I was on a WinMo phone and NOBODY programs for their marketplace...but I was actually surprised coming over to Android that companies are still so slow to put their apps out there considering the marketshare is shifting towards Android.

4. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

It's shifting that way, but it isn't there yet. Android has a 13% marketshare, compared to blackberry's 42%, Apples 24% and Microsoft's 13.2%.

Granted, the total android sales are expected to see a 5x increase over the next year. But you want to focus your efforts, on programing for devices people have now, not what they might have later.

5. sequre

sequre Well-Known Member

I work for Comcast. No date set for this app yet. They are currently working for one on iPhone which you can scroll through your TV listings and select a show right from the handset. (replacing the Comcast remote) No word on that one for Android yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od2m8HMq-4I
    Here it is in action, apparently you can't hear much though

Mr. Link likes this.
  6. spence341

spence341 Well-Known Member

DirectTV... App works great, can set my DVR anytime I want. Comcast... Well you know, high priced low service.

7. marrow226

marrow226 Member

I work for Comcast, as well. I'm a service technician in Maryland. You?

8. cortecds

They used to have a website where you could go and program your dvr.
    I can't seem to find it now. Comcast guys, any help?

9. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

How do you like that ugly, huge satellite dish on your roof?:rolleyes::D;):p

10. marrow226

marrow226 Member

cortecds likes this.
  11. cortecds

12. cortecds

Great now when I have a comcast issue I know where to go, JK :)

13. Le0_Br4zUc4

Le0_Br4zUc4 Well-Known Member

Was about time to see this app out, the only way I was managing my DVR was using my slingbox, was kinda slow but it worked!

14. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

+1

15. NoShftShck16

NoShftShck16 Well-Known Member

True, and it doesnt work when its cloudy. But if you are in Philly, Comcast is forced down your throat.

Trying to have fios layed :)

16. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's annoying that some are still slow to come around to releasing android apps. Gotta say that it's nice having verizon fios with vzw being committed to android. I've had my incredible for 4 months and I've had both a fios remote control app and a dvr app the whole time. My credit card and voip services have iphone apps but nothing else. I'm letting them know that they're in jeopardy of losing my business to someone who isn't ignoring the android mobile base.

17. breathmints

breathmints Well-Known Member

I have directv and i think it is kind of expensive more than basic cable

18. crackers8199

crackers8199 Well-Known Member

uh, of course the higher end plans are going to be more expensive than basic cable.

i have directv premier w/ 2 dvr, whole home dvr, etc...i pay $140 a month, give or take. the comparable package with comcast would cost me well over $200...and i wouldn't even get the same (or as many) channels.

19. Mr. Link

Yep, absolutely true...but you can't watch the Phillies then (where I live...close to Philly). It's true that Comcast is shoved down your throat in this area...especially with them monopolizing the Comcast SportsNet and not allowing Dish or DirectTV to pick it up.

20. jtstretch

jtstretch Active Member

i too work for comcast (SAC DMA) and it goes both ways. they all have exclusive rights to certain programming. its not about # of channels these days anyways. so what you get 10 more channels with someone else, its all crap you never watch and same one just east and west feeds. its all about programming and how you receive it. comcast blows the compitition out of the water. and its only just begun. our headquarters is in Philly is why its so heavy their.

21. crackers8199

crackers8199 Well-Known Member

not to hijack the thread, but please do explain how. i've been nothing but pleased with directv, had it for 4+ years now. couldn't be happier with my decision to ditch comcast for directv...

22. Mr. Link

I understand that...and I've been with both...happy with both minus the overall cost of Comcast. OnDemand for Comcast is far superior to DirectTV's counterpart service. As far as channels go...you're absolutely right...10 here or there is whatever. For a good bit there, DirectTV was kicking but on the number of HD channels offered, but Comcast has caught up there as well. It really comes down to bundling and DirectTV doesn't have good bundles on internet service (where I'm at). Comcast cable speeds kick butt...however, it's really a shame Comcast nickels and dimes for every additional service. You want another HD box upstairs...$10 a month....etc, etc.

23. spence341

spence341 Well-Known Member

Not that this was a Comcast vs. DirecTV thread, but... Comcast is a bunch of thieves, so I moved to DirecTV. still need Comcast for High Speed Internet due to no other options.

My point was that the DirecTV APP works great, no need to utilize a third party app to set your DVR to run... Comcast? Still waiting...

24. Mr. Link

True enough...so back on topic. Comcast guys...any ETA on it? And ETA on the iPhone app? Because that would give us a possible idea of how much longer until Android gets it's app.

25. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member