Coming from an iPhone 2G/3G/3GS? What's your thought?

Last Updated:

1. Sungmurai7

Sungmurai7 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm curious to hear from peeps who, like me are coming from an iPhone on Tmo's network to the myTouch Slide. What do you like/dislike, would you wait for iPhone 4 on Tmo if that happens, etc. My iPhone 2G is unlocked/jailbroken and heavily modified with hacks. I love it and am spoiled by it, but the Slide is badass too. Let's hear it.

Advertisement
  2. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

I used all gens of iPhones, and eventually got bored with them. Even after jailbreaking, unlocking, etc. The Slide is an awesome phone. It's super fast, user friendly, you get 3G speeds (unlike the iPhone on T-Mo), nice apps, and they're going to upgrade it to Android 2.2 (we don't know when, supposedly soon).

3. Sungmurai7

Yeah I agree with ya on being bored with the iphone ashykat. I find myself trying to theme my iphone to look like HTC's design. A lot of the hacks are great but it really slows down the iphone if i install too many, which is necessary for me (Quick Reply, LockInfo or Intelliscreen, themes to name a few) Upgrading to the 3G/3GS makes it a little faster but not being able to use 3G sucks so that is why I didn't bother.

4. Sungmurai7

I think i have a hard time letting go of my 2G because that was my phone for the past three years lol.

5. stryder06

stryder06 Well-Known Member

I had a hacked 2g iPhone on tmobile. The only thing I miss is the battery life, other then that it's cool. I like the android market place and prefer the way you can customize your home screen with android.

6. Sungmurai7

The battery life wasn't too bad but I really wish the battery was swappable with all the Push going on. Not to mention apps that I had running with Backgrounder and the weather widgets.

I totally agree with Stryder06 on how you can customize the desktop on Android. It's way more stylish compared to the iPhone and more refreshing. I'm really diggin' it on the myTouch Slide.

7. Xian

Xian Member

Well I used Android before I went to the iPhone and at the time, it was a refreshing change. I felt the iPhone just ran smoother, was more clean cut, etc. But as mentioned above, not being able to use 3G was a downer. I decided to get rid of it and grab up a Slide and so far very happy that I did. I do love the customization available on the Slide. It allows you to look at a different screen all the time instead of the same old app icons. I'm not a fan of the keyboard as it feels too "sunken in" for me and the number row sucks but I tend to use Swype more anyway.

The app store, imo, still lags way behind the Apple store. I know that's being improved on a daily basis but for now, it's just not the same.

This is the first time I've owned an Android phone where I didn't feel like I needed to hack it at all to make it what I want it to be. I'm definitely glad I made the switch.

8. Sungmurai7

This is my first Android but it's not my first experience with it. I bought and returned both the G1 and myTouch 3G when it came out because I felt that Android still had a long way to go.

I was attracted to the way you can customize the home screen and the widgets you can put on it. But that wasn't enough for me. The iPhone's UI was more solid and clean and it ran faster so stuck with the iPhone for the time being. My gf owned a G1 and I got to mess around with it. Rooted it and installed custom roms and whatnot. That's another thing I was attracted to, it's more hacker friendly than the iPhone. I agree with Xian about the Slide being one of the first Android phone where I didn't have to hack to make it what I want it to be.

The Android Market definitely still got a way to go but I hope Froyo will improve on it. I heard they're improving the Search function on the Market where it will pull more results.

I'll say it again, the Swype has got to be one of my favorite feature on the Slide. I use it more often than the physical keyboard. And it works well in both landscape and portrait mode. Once you have some idea of where the keys are you're golden.

9. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

I also tried a G1 before I got an iPhone. At the time, Android was just not mature enough to really compete, not to mention the lackluster hardware which we call the G1. I went to iPhone and it was this "Wow! That was so easy!" kind of reaction. That quickly gave way to, "Why can't I do this? Why can't I do that?". The fact that I had to create notification tones by converting to .aiff, then changing the name and extension (.caf), then SSH into the iPhone and replace their defaults was absolutely ridiculous. Now that Android has matured quite a bit, and is available on much better hardware than it was before, it's the way to go. You can simply do so much more with it. Maybe a 3 year old can't pick it up and use it as easily, but I personally feel like my needs as an adult are different than a 3 year olds. Lol.

10. Sungmurai7

I also tried a G1 before I got an iPhone. At the time, Android was just not mature enough to really compete, not to mention the lackluster hardware which we call the G1. I went to iPhone and it was this "Wow! That was so easy!" kind of reaction. That quickly gave way to, "Why can't I do this? Why can't I do that?". The fact that I had to create notification tones by converting to .aiff, then changing the name and extension (.caf), then SSH into the iPhone and replace their defaults was absolutely ridiculous. Now that Android has matured quite a bit, and is available on much better hardware than it was before, it's the way to go. You can simply do so much more with it.
    Haha I hear ya.

11. samcarroll

samcarroll Active Member

i came from an iPhone 3GS and i love my MTS. Android is awesome and the phone itself is great. Im still learning things everyday about it.

12. UnknownAlly

UnknownAlly Well-Known Member

What about coming from iPhone AT&T?