Coming from Hero

Last Updated:

1. evojoel

evojoel Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I had a Palm Pre and got fed up with returning it so I went on craigslist and found a deal on an HTC Hero. It was a nice jump from the Pre and really what I was looking for. Then I got an Evo sent out to me from Sprint after waiting a while. I have to say that aside from the awesome battery life, the screen and processor on the Evo, I don't know if it's a big enough jump to pay $200 for. The screen is nice to say the least. I am getting really great battery life compared to the Hero as well. Swype is cool. But I don't know. After waiting all this time for it, it just doesn't do "it" for me. Anyone else feel the same?

Advertisement
  2. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

Nope, and I'll tell you why.

I got the Hero last october, coming from a Treo700wx. The experience of using the Hero was lightyears ahead of that. Customization, apps, everything. It was because of the Hero that I became a phone hobbyist.

The Hero basically uses bottom of the line hardware. Little processor, little memory, little rom, little screen. Honestly the only functional thing I miss about the Hero is the trackball. The EVO is double every internal spec of the Hero, and the 4.3" screen is gorgeous.

Since they use the same physical size of battery, I use my hero to charge up its battery as a backup to the evo. One time I accidently turned it on and scrolled through it...I literally lol'd at how small and puny the hero screen was next to my evo. I don't know how I ever managed with it, I probably aged my eyes 10 years by squinting at that tiny screen.

With the Hero, I was constantly running into low memory errors because I had so many apps installed (around 80). On the EVO, I have about 150 installed and no problems.

The Hero is the EVO's little brother. The Hero was a good first splash into the market but its end-of-life now. Its not going to get Froyo, which EVO will. EVO also has the specs necessary to get the gingerbread update.

Games are completely different on Hero vs the EVO. Hero is good to pull off tetris-style games. EVO is going to give you full 3-d game experiences.

Then theres other things like the kickstand, HDMI out, FM radio etc as the cherry on top.

This is an easy $200 to spend. You can maybe make half of that up by selling the hero on ebay.

3. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

Nope, the Evo crushes the Hero in every way, shape and form. And I own a Hero. And the Hero's a pretty good phone.

You may have acclimated to the speed of the Hero and are just not yet realizing the power of the fully operational battlest ... I mean Evo. Try speeding up, doing more, doing more at once. The Evo can keep up with a LOT more activity at a much faster pace than the Hero. Then play sketch or something. Ha.

4. evojoel

evojoel Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I agree with most everything you guys have said. I liked the Evo, the screen is great, but for me I just don't think it's a big enough jump for me to use that upgrade. The $200 I am not too worried about, but I think I was just expecting a much bigger jump. Time will tell. I have the 30 days to decide. As far as the 3D gaming goes I found an interesting video showing the Evo versus the Galaxy S, if you are into 3D then you should check it out.

5. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

I dont own a Hero, but I've used one. In my experiences the EVO blows it out of the water. Although the Hero is nice, The Hero is sooo slow. On the the EVO, everything loads in about half the time. I think 200 bucks for the EVO is a steal.

6. Complex757

Complex757 Well-Known Member

$200? I spent $450 on the Evo, and don't regret it. Like everyone else stated the screen size and speed make it seem antiquated.

Plus the Hero will never get 2.2