coming from symbian to android, some questions

Last Updated:

1. YorkshirePudding

YorkshirePudding Member This Topic's Starter

hey folks

having seen similar threads i know im not the only ex symbian user, not that i didnt enjoy my time with it but its time to move on! ive tried to see if this question has been repeated elsewhere but i couldnt so i do apologise if i missed it!

on my previous symbian devices n95 and 5800 if i used an app that required web access be that wifi or over the network it always asked me if i wanted to allow this, and i thought it was a good feature. now i just got a HTC desire and for financial reasons couldnt get an unlimited data plan from o2 in the uk just yet otherwise id be happy to let it be on all the time.

now it seems that if you want devices to connect you either have the wifi on or off, same for the mobile network. does anyone know if there is a setting or app or anything in the pipeline that might emulate this symbian function? maybe its me just being a bit funny but i found that level of control good and it didnt mean i had to go backwards and forwards turning stuff on and off. if its not possible im sure ill get used to it but it would be a good feature!

secondly i have a Ford Focus euro model with a built in bluetooth hands free to the stereo, a factory fitted option which i believe uses a nokia Bluetooth module (stereo is sony) now this really is a minor quibble but on the old phones when the bluetooth was on any incoming calls would push the ringtone through the speakers untiill i answered it

using the desire the phone still rings normally with whatever ringtone i have but it pushes a plain ring ring through the speakers, anyone know a way to change that? or mute the phone when it rings and just push the ring through the stereo?

a very minor quibble though!!!

overall ive been very very impressed with my HTC Desire and Android in generall

all hail the droid:cool:

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Android generally assumes that you have an always active internet connection, unless you have a data or wifi connection disabled. I would just put the power control widget on your home screen and enable/disable data and wifi on the fly when you need them. I sort of miss this from Symbian as well, but since I have unlimited data now, I have no concerns about leaving it always on.

3. YorkshirePudding

YorkshirePudding Member This Topic's Starter

thats understandable and i started to realise this more as i was waiting for the phone, its a smartphone the idea that its always connected to the internet in some form, looks like i should save up for a data plan!

4. anthgav

anthgav Well-Known Member

you can disable all background data sync while still leaving 3g or wifi on