• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coming Over from the S4

Lulz......dude.....dafuq....it's boot looping!!!

J/P!

Lmao my heart sank there. One bad thing about giving advice on here is youre terrified of breaking someones phone :D
Yeah the s3 has a smaller system partition than the crazy s4 lol. Ive had mine since launch (286 user apps) and its only half full. Im not much of a gamer either :)

Reactions: Muilisx
Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm already a lot happier with the S3 over the S4. The screen is 0.2" smaller which honestly, I don't notice as I'm coming from the LG Motion which was a 3.5" screen. This is my first big screen. This is actually my first decent phone. I've always bought low end phones. Well, I bought the Huawei Accend a few years back which came out around the same time as the Samsung Admire. The Admire was like $50 more and I cheaped out. Long story short, the Accend bricked itself after I installed all my stuff. It started boot looping, so I brought it back, and they would not refund it for me. It was not even 72 hours after I bought it, with their Metro Promise, they told me to go to a corporate location which I did, and they gave me a refurb as a replacement which made the Jew in me come out. I paid for a new phone, and now I have a refurb. It was a real crappy situation, almost like Metro knew of a Huawei Accend bricking problem, and was giving me the run around. I ended up contacting Capital One, and disputing the charge. It took a while, but I won, and Capital One credited me the price I paid, and I went ahead and ordered the Admire. Well, I ordered the Admire right after because I had no phone but the Samsung Admire was a awesome phone during that time. Nice solid Samsung phone for Metro users. I can't recall storage and stuff, but it was very easy to use, very responsive, and rooting was extremely easy and there was a lot of support for it here on the forums.

So, the LG Motion ended up being the nicest phone I ever owned, and was the best phone I ever owned until now as the Motion had a ton of space available to the user, and was a nice solid phone. It came as a 1.2Ghz Dual Core processor, but after the firmware update, we got 1.5Ghz, not sure how that happened but the Motion was a small beast. I never had a issue with it, and it had the BEST keyboard calibration I've ever seen. I never made typos that was the phones fault ever.

Anyway, now I have the S3 which honestly is awesome. The extra smart features the S4 comes with doesn't justify the price jump at all. As I mentioned in my OP, the 13MP camera mode was 4:3 anyway so as default, it was 9.6MP at 16:9 which I would of stayed with anyway. I see no reason to keep the S4 over the S3. The S3 has more internal space which is amazing as it's cheaper. I only wish Samsung put their power / lock button on the top instead of on the side. Other than that, I absolutely love the phone. The chrome blue color Metro has to me looks way more rich than the white color. I'll be downloading the new Teen Wolf episode tonight in HD, and putting it on my phone, and watching it on the couch to test out the HD display. I already watched a HD music video on it via YT, and it looked amazing. The S3 to me is a perfect phone all around except for my one little con which is more of a personal preference as I'm coming from the Motion for 2 years or maybe a little more and I'm extremely use to having that power / lock button on the top. I seem to press it as times when I don't mean to as my hands and fingers are accustomed to having that power / lock button on top.

In conclusion,

I'm really happy with my choice to return the S4, and go with the S3, and I recommend anyone to get the S3 over the S4 unless your brain won't be happy unless you have the best of the best, but the extra money to be able to wave your hand over the screen to scroll pictures, or look up or town to scroll down a website to me isn't worth it. The 0.2" bigger screen size isn't worth it. Save some money, go with the S3, have more internal space, be happier that you spent less. I'll be honest, I was trippin' on LSD the day I bought the S4, and I woke up the next day with the S4 and realized I made a mistake. If you have to keep fretting over a purchase, that means you're not happy with the purchase, and deep down you know you made a mistake. I wouldn't say LSD was the reason I bought the S4, but it definitely made me jump the gun on the purchase as I was watching videos, and reading about it, and it looked pretty cool. It's like my Great Grandfather told me, have patience Stephen, have patience. Just like he always use to tell me to slow down when I ate. At a young age, I always ate really fast, but I finally did slow down as I realized it was better to enjoy every bite than to cram everything down. If for some reason Metro wants to mess around with the refund, I'll simply dispute the charge as I have proof of purchase date, and proof of date the phone was sent back, and I have a print out that the phone was delivered. My Uncle wanted a S4 after I got it, so did his GF, but now I told him, it's more worth it to get the S3, and when his GF gets home later, I'll let her mess around with it, and they'll both get one, but they're with AT&T, so they'll probably get a good deal on two S3's at the same time with extending his contract by 2 years. Anyway, I'm going to play around more with the phone, I'll check in later.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I'm glad you are happy with your SGS3. Nice play by play update you gave regarding setting up your phone.

With regard to the power button, I use to have an HTC Desire Z before and the power button was on the top as well. I personally didn't have any problems adjusting to the power button on the side. I think you'll get used to it. Generally, I use the home key to wake the phone and only use the power key to turn off the screen or toggle airplane mode.

Reactions: Muilisx
Upvote 0
Yeah, it's not a matter of turning the phone on from sleep, it's like if I'm watching a movie or something and I have it long ways, and I go to press the volume rocker, My thumb ends up hitting the lock button, lol.

I ride motorcycles so honestly, we call that muscle memory, and yes, I'll adjust to it after a few days for sure. Yes, I decided to write a nice post about my setup as it's fun to me to post to a forum. I think communication with other humans is awesome.

Upvote 0
Ps if youre gona buy a case, check out the Urban Armor Gear. Best case ive ever had and it makes the s3 feel really stiff and solid without being big.
Ive never used a screen protector and my glass is still honestly flawless (i just dont put anything in my pocket with the phone but i dont baby it)
The display is beautiful. Im a big fan of amoled over lcd :)

Upvote 0
Yeah muscle memory kicks in really fast. That can be a bad thing though lol. The samsung back button is on the "wrong" side so when i switch between the phone and my nexus tab my thumbs were gettin confused.
Ive ended up swapping the back and recents button on the nexus so back is on the right :)

That too, the Motion's back button was on the left, and I keep hitting options by mistake, lol.

Upvote 0
Ps if youre gona buy a case, check out the Urban Armor Gear. Best case ive ever had and it makes the s3 feel really stiff and solid without being big.
Ive never used a screen protector and my glass is still honestly flawless (i just dont put anything in my pocket with the phone but i dont baby it)
The display is beautiful. Im a big fan of amoled over lcd :)

You have a link to them? I recently bought a hard / soft ( hybrid ) case I'm still waiting on, but anything that has much more support is way better.

Upvote 0
http://www.urbanarmorgear.com/collections/samsung
I think amazon has them at a good price.
it doesnt have the hardcore protection you get with a big ottarbox type case but ive dropped mine from ear height on a hard floor. I really like how it looks but thats probably down to taste lol. Best thing is how it takes away that cheap samsung feel and makes the phone feel stiff :)

Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy SIII – URBAN ARMOR GEAR
I think amazon has them at a good price.
it doesnt have the hardcore protection you get with a big ottarbox type case but ive dropped mine from ear height on a hard floor. I really like how it looks but thats probably down to taste lol. Best thing is how it takes away that cheap samsung feel and makes the phone feel stiff :)

Damn, expensive :p

Upvote 0
Did you check screen time? Anything over 4h screen time is pretty good.
The phone has to calibrate itself though so you wont get a decent run until a few full cycles :thumbup:

Indeed, it's already taking much longer to fully charge this time around as it was a little charged upon arrival. I did discharge it fully, then turned it off, and I'm charging it fully while off, and I'll do the same thing again a few cycles. It should be almost done now.

Edit: It's roughly 75% charged going off the charging screen. The battery looks about 75% filled.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones