• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Commando not charging from Mophie Juice Pack

teddyki

Lurker
Nov 17, 2011
Hi,
It seems that a lot of folks are having various problems charging the commando from what I found, and here's another.

I'm trying to charge my commando from a mophie juice pack duo and all I get is "USB Connection" but my device is not charging.

To eliminate variables:
I've tried connecting to the Mophie in all 3 USB modes, and none work.
The mophie juice pack successfully charges a different android device.
The cable I'm using for my commando is Motorola brand and works when plugged into the wall.
I've tried several different cables including the one that came with the Mophie.
The Mophie does not charge my commando when it is powered off.
I can charge my commado while plugged into my laptop.
Mophie has an output of 5V and 2.1A which should be more than enough for the commando.
The Mophie is fully charged when I'm trying to charge my commando.

what gives? The only evidence I could find that could be it was on this forum:
androidforums . com /motorola-droid/18667-droid-charge-through-usb.html

the droid appears to follow the USB spec (unlike MANY other devices) and it first connects to a usb port at only ~100 mA (which might barely charge faster than it uses power). Then it ASKS the host device for permission to use more power. I think it steps to 300 or 500 mA IF the host device says it's OK. If the host device doesn't reply that it's OK then the droid will not draw more power.

if the laptop feels it doesn't have power to spare it will tell the droid to stay at 100 or only step to 300.

for comparison the stand alone wall wart supposedly outputs 850 mA.

when hooked up to a 3000 mA charger so it can suck it's max, the droid seems to pull something like ~1500 mA

I couldn't imagine why the mophie would not give the "OK" to supply full power as that's its SOLE purpose, but maybe that has something to do with it. Any suggestions?

As weird as it sounds it might be something with the drivers or information inside this juice pack. When i plug mine into my pc, before all my drivers load it does the same thing, just the usb options but no charging. when the computer is fully loaded, with the casio drivers, then the charging happens. the commando uses non-generic drivers/modes, so that if probably it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones