Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS) disableTips

Last Updated:

1. Codegerm

Codegerm Well-Known Member

A friend of mine received this alert on his phone, "This is a test of the Commercial Mobile Alert System. This is only a test". He asked me about it and if I had gotten one. I said no, but later checked and I had sorta (checked my blocking log). It didn't get to annoy me the way it did on his phone even though we booth have GS2 phones. I found my call blocker had caught it as an "Unknown sender" and blocked it. So I looked it up and found out about it.

Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS) |

Well if you don't like being annoyed by it, (I for one don't as I have a weather radio and the news is often on at my place) you can disable it. go to your messaging app and hit the menu button choose settings then emergency alerts. Now according to the FCC (and the option is always grayed out on the phone) you can't disable presidential alerts. However, apparently yes you can, with a call/SMS/MMS blocker. I had purchased a blocking app (I use Extreme Call Blocker) due to some business down in Tampa that was using an SMS caster to send out ads for their computer store (that just pissed me off). So anyway I set up this app to block all SMS/MMS messages from anyone that is not in my contact list, and this also covers CMAS annoyances too.