• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Commodore PET

Petey21

Oct 17, 2012
Sweden
Anyone old enough to remember the Commodore 64? For the fans of those classic home computers, now there will be a new Android phone with the Commodore brand name, namely the Commodore PET (named after another Commodore computer from the past). Running a custom version of Android 5.0 Lollipop, the phone comes with preinstalled emulators for both the Commodore 64 and Amiga computers, and will be launched in select European countries later this week.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/commodore-smartphone/

I can't help but ask if anyone would be reporting about this phone if it didn't carry that Commodore name. My gut says no. It doesn't really sound like there's much special (decent, sure, but nothing to really set it apart) about this device. It sounds like a rebranded generic dime-a-dozen phone from a Chinese manufacturer.

Related: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...on-back-of-generic-smartphone-gets-attention/

Also, looks like the folks at AP tracked down the device it's based on: http://www.gizchina.com/2014/12/09/64bit-lte-orgtec-waphone-officially-announced-just-145/

Last edited:
Reactions: bjacks12 and mikedt
Upvote 0
Wow.

Most of the Wired article is about the trademark lineage - and Android Police blasts away that Wired doesn't realize that this is the result of a trademark game.

I guess when most people read URLs and titles instead of the articles, you can claim victory at anything.

And it's clear from the Wired articles that this is a MediaTek based phone, catchy trademark, and the company is still looking for a software house - so what else was it going to be besides a branded-to-spec phone??

So they tracked down a phone that's close but not an exact match. I'm sure that took forever to search on gizchina.com. :rolleyes:

Bad Android Police - no donut for you.

The next Nokia Android is going to be a Chinese knock off with the Nokia brand.

Can we expect more investigative reporting on that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Holy whack. My first PC experiences were on a Commodore 64. that's some stuff right there!

Mine was the Amiga 500. My dad paid extra for 2MB RAM, 20MB Hard Disk and a 2nd Disk Drive. We had to put it on a desk up the loft because that was the only place we had space for the mahoosive desk we needed for everything. I was an undisputed master at James Pond: Robocod.

It was pretty hot up in my loft though.

He gave it to me when he moved to Vietnam. It, along with the greatest gaming joystick in the world (The Zipstick), is sitting underneath my bed at the moment. My Mrs says we don't have enough space for me to take it out and use though. I'm biding my time, she'll keep.

On the subject of the phone, if I had the money, I'd get one. I'll confess that I wasn't cool enough to read any more than 2 paragraphs of any of the linked articles (Sorry Early). I don't particularly care that it might be some tacky mediatek device, I'd buy it because carting a commodore branded phone about in my pocket would give the boys something to talk about. And that's what I'm all about.

Upvote 0
We might have our old one down the basement somewhere. I remember reading the programs that came in a book to find some kid's reading and math games. Then sitting there and typing them in. We used a cassette deck and a TV. I think the Vulcan actually wrote a blackjack program. Kid loved that one.

I remember one program where you could put in notes by a value, and have the Commodore play the song back.

Reactions: Psyfer5
Upvote 0
I'd say that this Commodore PET phone would be interesting only if designed by Bill Seiler and Chuck Peddle. And it should be powered by some descendant of MOS 6502 ... Or, at least, it should be produced in the factory in 950 Rittenhouse Road, Norristown, (Do you know that it is still there, ruined and empty since Commodore bankruptcy?) then there would be a connection. Instead of taking interest in this fine example of Chinese engineering I'd strongly recommend reading a book Commodore: A Company on The Edge - it is awesome!

Upvote 0
^Again, the first 2 paragraphs of every link.

Not even sorry this time.
We both knew before you clicked them that I wasn't linking anything of popular interest. :D

Here -

e10aa6d0b42d9868cda89a6b6cc3968a.jpg

Commodore Pants. :D

Upvote 0
The two activities are not mutually exclusive ok. :D

True. True.
Being a Commodore fan myself (learned assembly for C64 in late 80's and in 90's I had my game released for the Amiga) I search ebay at times, and wonder "should I buy a C64 or not?".
And then this smartphone shows up.
And how did I got to know about it? Because some three weeks ago this CBM London company followed ME on Twitter, probably because I tweeted about a second part of this book I mentioned being funded on kickstarter.

What would Jack Tramiel (probably) do if it was him behind the wheel of that Italian/London/Chinese CBM? He would come forward with superior quality and lowest possible price and he would flood the market.

Do you think that these guys are going to do that?

I also read an interview with Jack saying that if you are selling something for more than 100% of your cost - you are inviting a competition. And: "If you are competing - it is already too late".

Do you think that smartphone market has got its Jack Tramiel today?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones