Companion Link for Motorola Droid

Last Updated:

1. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am interested in getting feedback from those who have or have tried companion link on the Motorola Droid. Primarily looking to see if there is any drawbacks or issues I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for your posts!!

Advertisement
  2. chiefvelo

chiefvelo Well-Known Member

I have Companionlink set to sync my ACT with Google and they it syncs to my phone. I ended up wiping my contacts and calendar twice but it seems to be working for the last 24hrs now. Some special fields only sync to the notes area and there is no memo pad sync witch is lame. i am trying gdocs note pad to sync to google docs. i think that will work. I read i should be able to sync via usb in the future from companionlink.
    Great device but not business centered. blackberry BIS is so much nicer for different email domains.
    Sync for companionlink is so slow the first time. the other few i have done are reasonable.
    Any specific questions?

3. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply. No specific. Right now I did the export from Outlook to Google for contacts and calendar and that is fine with me as long as I have that on my phone, but being that I have been a big Blackberry user for 5 plus years I am used to being able to easily sync to outlook. I was on companion links site and find it interesting but want to make sure my contacts don't get deleted out using the free trial or something.

4. JoJoDaClown

JoJoDaClown Member

Did you have any problems with getting CompanionLink to connect to Lotus Notes? I get an error, after I've set up the settings, when I try to sync, "Unable to log into Notes"
    In the settings, where I select my PIM to be Lotus Notes, I select that, then hit configure. I verify my notes.exe path is correct, re-enter my password, It's already loaded my calender file location information and address file location, I have "Add Notes info to Google" selected. All of the other tabs are at their default values.
    I apply, then hit next, and then finish.
    I hit syncronize, it goes through and works, then pops up the error message "Unable to log into Notes".

Please help.

5. smilepak

smilepak Well-Known Member

It is a little tricky. I had the same problem with mNote with Lotus Notes. It has to do with the Lotus Notes database setting. If it is set to read from server, it only works if you are connected to the network your workplace is at. You have to move it to the local and run it off the replica version. That is where it will work offline.

6. JoJoDaClown

JoJoDaClown Member

Ahh, okay. I went in and changed the lotus path from server to local, and pointed it to my cadenza directory and to cadenza.ini (that's what my mnotes was pointed to for my Blackjack that I'm moving from).
    Thanks. The sync worked, now to see if it'll successfully sync to my google calender and then to my phone.

7. JoJoDaClown

JoJoDaClown Member

Update: cadenza.ini was incorrect. needed to be (username).ini from the lotus\notes\Data\Mail directory.

8. chiefvelo

chiefvelo Well-Known Member

Now I am having google delete all the contacts from act when i do a sync. I am trying purge and reload and reread pc but it still trys to delete when i go back to sync the second time.
    I had tried several syncs a few days ago and they seemed to be working.
    anyone else?
    Act>Companionlink>Google>Droid

9. Ralo

Ralo New Member

I was using it to sync Outlook to Google which then synced with my new Droid and the next thing you know, all of my 1273 contacts were gone, well strangely enough, all but one. :confused:

I'm not sure when it happened. It seemed to sync fine on the first attempt although it took quite a while, much longer than Verizon Wireless Sync. The contacts and calendar showed up on my new Droid and all appeared to be fine. But the next day I go into Outlook on my computer and all but one contacts were gone. The calendar was still there.

Well that was the last straw for me. I was already having a hell of a time adjusting to the differences between the Droid and my trusty Treo 700wx which works flawlessly. What the hell am I switching for? Anyway, I still had all my contacts on my 700wx so I took the Droid off my account, put my Treo back on, used vzw wireless sync and I was back in business, without all the stress and frustration. Don't get me wrong, I think the Droid has great potencial but it's not quite ready yet from my prospective.

As for CompanionLink, I have no ideal what happen to my contacts. The were still on the Droid and on Google but Outlook contacts were gone. Thank God for backups.

10. smilepak

smilepak Well-Known Member

I usually do one way sync. From Lotus to Google and purge is checked so it purge google on each sync. Maybe you have purge checked?

11. reburns

reburns Active Member

I've been using CompanionLink because I have older Outlook 2002 and POP3 email. It has been working just fine, and I'll probably buy it. I wish it had the optional capability to reverse the order of first & last names going from Outlook>Google Contacts>Droid so I can have phone contacts as Last, First just as I do in Outlook. Perhaps it's easier just to get use to the new way instead.

Also I see that Droid contacts does not show long contact notes unless you enter "edit contact" mode.

12. russmd

russmd Member

We've noticed that Outlook Notes sync to the beginning of the Contacts area on the Droid. They're listed with |M| spacers around them. That's not so bad, however, I can't figure out how to enter notes ON THE DROID. How do I put the |M| spacers in - I can't find the symbols. Ideas?
    Thanks.

13. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

I've tried it, and used to use the ical04 whatever it's called. I linked it here in the outlook thread in a subforum.

It's a little more expensive, and it's one of a few that ONLY do Outlook 2000 to google sync.

Everything is great! I wish there were a few more options, a log file and a way for it report "something" if there's a sync failure.

On the bad side, I have all my outlook contacts configured as 1(555)555-1212 format. NONE of the options will sync up the leading "1".

Google voice required the 1+area code+number to work. BUT an update a few days ago to the GV app, will now allow area code+number dialing, yay!!!!!!!!

I think I'll do this one when it comes time to pay at the end of the trial.

14. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Hmm, I don't sync my notes, but you can long hold some of the letters for the "other equivs".... might take some trial and error.

OH WAIT, hit 123 key, in the # keyboard, just tap the "ALT" key. VIOLA, you get your |

15. PII

PII New Member

Phone: Motorola Droid
    Contacts: MS Outlook 2007

When I would Sync, only 16 of my 367 contacts would show up on my Droid contacts. I would delete all contacts on my Droid and try it again and got the same thing. What I found out is that the 16 contacts that showed in my Droid we setup as Personal in the Category Field in my Outlook. When I set all my contacts in my Outlook to Personal, all 367 showed up on my Droid contacts.

16. MinConst

MinConst Well-Known Member

I'm testing this right now. So far I find some contacts are getting duplicated. I'm sure it is the way I have them entered in both outlook and Google. Does anyone know who wins on conflicts Google or Outlook? Or will I have to edit both contact lists to remove the dups?
    So far I did the first sync. Took along time. And have set appointments in both Outlook and Google and they synced fine. Much faster sync after the first one. All looks good so far.
    I only wish a Dev would build a real time sync for Outlook to my Moto Droid. I guess the term is Push.

17. reburns

reburns Active Member

At first I didn't have trouble with CompanionLink for Google (CLG), but now it does not launch upon boot, so I have to manually run Sync. I've uninstalled and re-installed CLG a couple times to no avail (XPx32). If I look at running processes in Windows Task Manager, the CompanionLink process is not shown. Perhaps I simply have a windows startup problem. The times I've re-installed CLG it still has my old preferred settings, so there's some preferences file somewhere that has remained intact. I'm using fairly old Outlook 2002, and CLG v3.0 build 3089.

Any suggestions?

18. BillySea

BillySea New Member

Look for some other program before buying CompanionLink. I bought the program several months ago to sync my Motorola Droid with ACT 6. Endless problems. Forced closings. Events not being carried over from phone to ACT or vice versa. I've spend many hours trying to work with the support people at CompanionLink. They are very nice - but the problems continue. I have not settled on another program yet but I'm looking.

Good luck.

19. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member