1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Companion Link

Last Updated:

1. shewmaker

shewmaker New Member This Topic's Starter

I have been using companion link for a month or so with my android and now it is no working i have call tech support every day for a week I connect it with act and google mail does any one have a beter product or solution??

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

i dont know but i'll move this to where they do.
    Welcome! Glad you're here!

3. redbelair

redbelair New Member

Hi
    I use Act 11 and the HTC EVO and Companion Link and have had mixed success. The phone and Act seem to be fine as Act was with my previous BlackBerry(Verizon) and Companion Link.
    However, along the way, I guess I must not have read all that could be read or did not know how the Companion Link product worked as I now have a 16 year old data base with a couple of thousand fouled up records. Worst part is that the corruption was not readily apparent for a while-hence all my backups are of the corrupted variety forcing me to go back a couple of months to a fairly good data base. Naturally this is a lot of fun!

After many calls and emails with CL support, I finally was able to get a person who could explain how the system works and who told me not to try every means of syncing--like just stick with USB or Google or the like as moving back and forth will cause problems....and it did.

I am dead set against having Google have any of my records, data or anything else--if they are giving stuff away free then how can they make money....

Anyway, I finally went for the $100 or so and bought some premium tech support incidents and a tech called me advising that I use only the local WiFi sync to see if USB was the problem and the darned thing synced right away--the 1st try! It has been 4 or 5 days and all seems well....just about--if you are looking for perfection you may want to use pencil and paper.

However, it appears my data base is staying the way I want it and that is the main thing. My calendar is fine and so it the Android People thing which I have to sync as that is where the darned caller-id source is--I wish it weren't but I have no control over that--apparently.

Don't mess with the contact field mapping either.

Otherwise all is well and, well, at least CLink people will talk with you - unlike the 'free' people, Google included.

FWIW. I hope the above details things a bit for you and also lets me chronicle what happened to me.

I could not figure any other way but Companion Link and just cannot let myself get sucked into the Google thing.