Company e-mail on Personal handset? worth a read...

Last Updated:

1. overclock

overclock Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. daystrom

daystrom Well-Known Member

If you sync with an Exchange server remote wipe is there. I am the Exchange admin where I work and have on a few occasions had to wipe phones because there were lost. Exchange 2007 allows users to initiate the wipe from Outlook Web Access.

Funny story a guy just the other day lost his iPhone and self-initiated a remote wipe. He later found the phone and every time he turned it on, it wiped!

Well you have to tell Exchange to stop the wipe or else it will keep doing it. Once he figured that out he was OK again.

3. fluxbox

fluxbox Well-Known Member

Yep, As an MCTS for Exchange 2007 and 2010 - This is a awesome feature that is there included with the exchange server. Remote Wipe and deletion of all company related email and account information via the Exchange server.

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Makes complete sense. This isn't new...companies have been doing it for years to protect themselves/sensitive information

5. zardoz

zardoz Well-Known Member

From what I've been reading, for an iPhone this means a -total- wipe of the phone. For an Android though, would it just be a wipe of all your emails and any contact and calendar integration? I use K9 + Exchange. . .

6. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

You could always just auto-forward...

Then it still comes from your server.

7. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

moved to android news as this affects more than Evo users. this is why it is important to backup your device as mistakes as in the above report can happen.

there are some 3rd party software, mobile defense is one, that can remote wipe your device. https://www.mobiledefense.com/

8. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Actually you can do this with Google Apps (gmail enterprise anyone?) as well.

9. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

I haven't really dug into this much as I prefer keeping work stuff on a separate device. If the company wants me to have mobile access to email then they can provide everything to do so. Centralized management on the BB includes this sort of remote wipe as well as a number of other features. Since I came from years of using BB's I've never attached my personal devices to my company's Exchange environment even though they don't tend to lock things down or mistakenly wipe devices as in the article linked above.

In any case, it seems to me that the answer might depend on which Exchange client you're using.