• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Comparisons of ROMs ?

I've been looking for the same thing and haven't really found it. Theres a thread somewhere about what rom you're using, you might want to look for it here and on xda.
I'd love to see someone put together some kind of comparison chart showing what was added, problems, mflops, etc but I know that's alot of work.
I can tell you I'm running Aloysius v11 and am loving it. Itsupports oc ans with zanfurs patch I'm running 806 with around 3.3 mflops and super stable. My only gripe is that after the oc patch I can no longer reboot without a battery pull which really isn't a big deal

Upvote 0
Was reading info on specific ROMs over at XDA and one of the more popular ROMs (Ivan's or Sense-Able ??) doesn't run Google Maps, for instance. That is a deal-breaker for me...

Not concerned about the ability to overclock. It's nice to have but not a necessity.

Also, I know with Cyanogen, there was an issue with him including the core Google apps. Is that still a problem or can they be downloaded/installed manually ?

Upvote 0
I am fairly new to root as well but have tried a few and will offer my impressions as a newbie;

If you like stock then you cannot go wrong with Ivans official 1.0. It's stable and worked great for me.

Sensable 3.0 is also a great ROM but my phone had the "silent bug" too often with it, but not everyone has had that problem.

I am currently using aloysius v11 maps. It is a hero port and works great and is fast. The only problems I am having with it is the occasional "silent bug" (every few days) and no voice mail notification but I have chosen to stick with it because of it's pluses.

Upvote 0
I am currently using aloysius v11 maps. It is a hero port and works great and is fast. The only problems I am having with it is the occasional "silent bug" (every few days) and no voice mail notification but I have chosen to stick with it because of it's pluses.

I am not having any silent bug issues with aloysius. I havent heard anyone else having problems with it either over at xda. Im wondering if the silent bug issue is something involving the hardware architecture of specific phones that doesnt play well with the new 2.1 roms. Maybe htc knows about it and should issue a recall like toyota LOL. :D

Upvote 0
I am not having any silent bug issues with aloysius. I havent heard anyone else having problems with it either over at xda. Im wondering if the silent bug issue is something involving the hardware architecture of specific phones that doesnt play well with the new 2.1 roms. Maybe htc knows about it and should issue a recall like toyota LOL. :D

I think that people have pretty much determined that it is a hardware issue when 2.1 is installed. Verizon has been sending out refurbs to everyone who calls in, even though they deny knowledge of such bug.

Upvote 0
Which ROMs don't have Sense ? I'm using Ivan's ROM at the moment and I will admit, the overclocked CPU makes it feel downright snappy ! But, it's not "different", i.e. Sense is still there. I realize I can run a different home/launcher, but Sense will still be running in the background. I found other widgets that are good enough to replace the HTC ones I use.

Upvote 0
One of my favorite (non-sense) ROM's is PureHero, it's one of the few, if only, vanilla ROM that, with the apn fix, will send and receive mms. However, I know all of the dev's are working very hard to figure out a fix for this.

A great Vanilla rom to start with would be Gridlocks Vanilla, I ran that for several weeks and loved it. It's a very stable Vanilla "style" ROM that give you a good feel of losing your sense. It's also stable to add overclocking to and JIT.

I've run all of the new true Vanilla ones out, the mms deal is the main problem for me. I would just stay away from the Froyo for now :D

Just get familiar with NAND backups first, then have fun with trying new ROMs and learning all the little tweeks, it all starts coming together pretty fast.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones