1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Compass App does not workSupport

1. wezgo

wezgo New Member

My compass app does not work on my Samsung Galaxy Centura. Does anyone know if the something is wrong with my smartphone?
    Thank you.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Some compass apps only works if the phone has a magnetometer compass.
    Your phone has a digital compass so you might try another compass app.

Another thought, a digital compass needs GPS, is GPS allowed in your phone's Settings?

Harry
  3. wezgo

wezgo New Member

Does that mean my phone does not have a magnet? I had read that it does not, but not sure. Some posts elsewhere say one thing and others say otherwise. I do have GPS however. Thanks
  4. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Actually it's not a magnet, there are sensors for to measure the magnetic field (I've corrected my expression in my first post).

I think your phone hasn't these, I've read of "digital compass", this means calculating a compass with the help of GPS.

Harry
  5. wezgo

wezgo New Member

My Google Sky Maps (for constellations) does not work either. I bet they are related. Sure someone somewhere has an answer. I called Samsung and they told me to call straighttalk. And the Straighttalk people don't really know the phone specs. I'm pretty frustrated, but I'll get over it.
  6. DebtFromAbv

DebtFromAbv New Member

Most of the compass apps I've found work with GPS. You wanna know what direction you're facing? You need to be moving in that direction. Strange, but true. My TomTom does the same thing, for the same reason.
  7. freakshow85

freakshow85 Well-Known Member

Harry is correct. Sky Maps and other things like that don't work because of this. It has a GPS compass but not a magnetic compass so that is why things can act funny that need a compass on the Centura.