• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
As I mentioned in my last thread already, the compass function of the 7.7 leaves a bitter taste. But what I found out is: it seems to be a software problem. Only older apps seems to have the problem, newer ones seem to be right.

The attached picture show a Samsung Galaxy S2, a Nokia N 8, and two 7.7s next to each other. Please notice the compass of "GPS status & Toolbox" points to the right direction on the Tab, the "Compass 2.1.1" is correct on the S2 but 90 degrees off on the 7.7.

To me it looks like some change in the API... Any one else with similar observations?

Attachments

• Wer davon luegt.jpg
    Wer davon luegt.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 180
As I mentioned in my last thread already, the compass function of the 7.7 leaves a bitter taste. But what I found out is: it seems to be a software problem. Only older apps seems to have the problem, newer ones seem to be right.

The attached picture show a Samsung Galaxy S2, a Nokia N 8, and two 7.7s next to each other. Please notice the compass of "GPS status & Toolbox" points to the right direction on the Tab, the "Compass 2.1.1" is correct on the S2 but 90 degrees off on the 7.7.

To me it looks like some change in the API... Any one else with similar observations?

Why not just use the new apps that are correct? Otherwise, how do you like the 7.7?

I'm trying to decide whether to get the one that wil work on AT&T and is available now or wait for the LTE version. There's just no release info on the LTE version.

Upvote 0
Why not just use the new apps that are correct?
Exactly what I am doing now :)
Otherwise, how do you like the 7.7?
I love it. I found a reasonably priced USB-Host Adapter now, including a SD-Cardreader it is just 890 Baht here in Thailand. (Pictures attached.) USBsticks work without problem, keyboards/mice should be connected via a powered hub.

What is missing is my USB-connection to the Linuxbox, but some day MTP will work...

Attachments

• USB-a.jpg
    USB-a.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 118
  • USB-b.jpg
    USB-b.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0
Sounds great Fritz. Do you have the GSM radio version or the wifi only version?
It is a 16 GB GSM enabled version, no infrared by the way. As extension I use a 16GB Class 10 microSD, which is writeable due to a fix I found by searching for "Fix external SD Card permissions" on google...

Now I am still looking for a solution to stream to the 7.7 from my DLNA Server (serviio), from the 7.7 to the TV (UA40D5500) works great.

Upvote 0

I have just purchased a Tab 2 7" for the primary purpose of navigation. My compass shows exactly the same - has anyone resolved this issue yet?

A compass that doesn't point North is of no value to anyone. Otherwise an extremely nice beast!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones