Compass Error on 7.7General

Last Updated: 2012-08-12 09:11:33
  1. Fritz Pinguin

Fritz Pinguin Member

As I mentioned in my last thread already, the compass function of the 7.7 leaves a bitter taste. But what I found out is: it seems to be a software problem. Only older apps seems to have the problem, newer ones seem to be right.

The attached picture show a Samsung Galaxy S2, a Nokia N 8, and two 7.7s next to each other. Please notice the compass of "GPS status & Toolbox" points to the right direction on the Tab, the "Compass 2.1.1" is correct on the S2 but 90 degrees off on the 7.7.

To me it looks like some change in the API... Any one else with similar observations?

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. Ken7

Ken7 Well-Known Member

Why not just use the new apps that are correct? Otherwise, how do you like the 7.7?

I'm trying to decide whether to get the one that wil work on AT&T and is available now or wait for the LTE version. There's just no release info on the LTE version.
  3. Fritz Pinguin

Fritz Pinguin Member

Exactly what I am doing now :)
    I love it. I found a reasonably priced USB-Host Adapter now, including a SD-Cardreader it is just 890 Baht here in Thailand. (Pictures attached.) USBsticks work without problem, keyboards/mice should be connected via a powered hub.

What is missing is my USB-connection to the Linuxbox, but some day MTP will work...

Attached Files:

4. Ken7

Ken7 Well-Known Member

Sounds great Fritz. Do you have the GSM radio version or the wifi only version?
  5. Fritz Pinguin

Fritz Pinguin Member

It is a 16 GB GSM enabled version, no infrared by the way. As extension I use a 16GB Class 10 microSD, which is writeable due to a fix I found by searching for "Fix external SD Card permissions" on google...

Now I am still looking for a solution to stream to the 7.7 from my DLNA Server (serviio), from the 7.7 to the TV (UA40D5500) works great.
  6. Ken7

Ken7 Well-Known Member

Fritz, are there two versions of the GSM version, one with infrared and one without? I thought the version that supports AT&T had the infrared.
  7. Fritz Pinguin

Fritz Pinguin Member

In Thailand the 7.7 comes without infrared, at least that's what the brochure mentions. There is some navigation software included (SpeedNavi), but I could not get it up and running... Maybe another day?
  8. Ken7

Ken7 Well-Known Member

It seems the only units with infrared are the upcoming LTE versions. I called the U.S. retailer whose website for the 7.7 shows 'infrared port-yes'. He admitted his website was wrong.
  9. NigelPT

NigelPT New Member

I have just purchased a Tab 2 7" for the primary purpose of navigation. My compass shows exactly the same - has anyone resolved this issue yet?

A compass that doesn't point North is of no value to anyone. Otherwise an extremely nice beast!