Compass function is 'sticky'General

Last Updated:

1. gluis

gluis Active Member This Topic's Starter

The internal compass is acting sticky. Especially with Google stars. Anyone else? This is outside with no mag or metal sources close by.

Advertisement
  2. L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul Well-Known Member

I recently had to figure this out myself. Apparently the compass needs to be calibrated pretty much anytime you use it. Basically start the app you want and then flip the phone over on all three axis quickly and this calibrates it mechanically. There are videos on YouTube that show how to do this with the iPhone. They say to do a figure eight with the phone but just spinning it on the axis works just as well.

Sucks that I have to do it each time I start an app up I want to us it in

3. gluis

gluis Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanx

4. darthmowzy

darthmowzy Member

I need to calibrate my Eris too. I am no expert but I don't think you should need to calibrate it. The G sensor knows where the center of the earth is and the compass knows where north is. Shouldn't this be enough information for apps like Google Sky View to work correctly or am I missing something?

5. L0stS0ul

Here's some information on the compass:

The HTC ERIS has a built-in digital compass that works just like a magnetic needle compass. The accuracy of digital compass headings can be affected by magnetic or other environmental interference. The compass may need to be calibrated from time to time. To do this wave the device in a figure eight.

It turns out my phone was bad. I returned it and got a new one and now my compass and gps are working properly. I still needed to calibrate it once. The GPS Status app in the app market can help you determine if the compass needs calibration.

6. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

my thing is, shouldnt google maps on the eris work with the built in compass?
    cause it apparently does not!
    yesterday it seemed to but the other days it didnt...
    is it something special you have to do with google maps to make the compass work?
    or do we have to wait for google navigation?

7. L0stS0ul

The compass can be used in street view. You navigate to a spot on the map and go into street view then click the menu button and there is an option to turn on compass mode.

I don't know where else the compass would work in the eris version of google maps. When in standard map view it uses the GPS to determine which direction you are travelling and will show an arrow from the dot showing where you are but that does not use the compass.

8. rigamrts

rigamrts Well-Known Member

it's a gps based compass which takes into account for magnetic north because gps only shows true north.

so calibrating like any digital equiptment is needed over time.

But i hear you it should not have to be calibrated every time.

9. darthmowzy

darthmowzy Member

I did a hard reset and calibrated once. So far the compass is working without needing to be re-calibrating every time I use it.

I don't know what caused my compass problem before the hard reset... hopefully it doesn't reoccur.