Compass not working?Support

Last Updated:

1. Durandal

Durandal Member This Topic's Starter

In addition to the accuracy problem, the compass on my Epic seems to be really out of whack. It doesn't maintain a consistent reading (it jitters quite a bit) and has a difficult time finding North. I've seen this behavior exhibit itself in the GPS Test application and Google Maps.

Am I the only one seeing this problem?

Edit:

I loaded GPS Test on my girlfriends HTC Eris and her compass is accurate and a lot less jittery :(

Advertisement
  2. Android XTC

Android XTC Banned

Where do I find the compass or did you download a compass app.?

3. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

The one off the market doesn't seem to work for my epic.....

4. Durandal

Look for "GPS Test" by Chartcross in the Android Market. It's free and has a compass sub-application in it.

5. Torq

Torq Well-Known Member

I don't know if the Epic has an actual compass (magnetometer) built in, but if it doesn't then GPS-based compasses are generally only usefully accurate when in motion. Typically 3-5mph is enough to make it work.

Durandal likes this.
  6. ggoldfingerd

ggoldfingerd Active Member

My compass is somewhat wacky but it works.

You can either download GPS Status or go into street view in maps, then click menu and select compass.

7. Durandal

Torq, thanks for your response.

According to this article in Wikipedia, it does have a magnetometer. (Look under "GPS and Compass errors".) The "Input" section in the sidebar also lists a "digital compass".

After doing some more experimentation, it seems that the compass is more stable if I have a higher quantity of high-SNR sats visible.

I'd read somewhere that the SGS phones (including the Epic) jump to / from different satellites more than necessary. Maybe this issue is a symptom of that? I'd provide a link, but I've been reading so many threads and articles that I've lost track!

8. ShiftNo

ShiftNo Well-Known Member

I have an Epic, and am having some real compass issues. Have you ever gotten anywhere with this issue?