compass on erisGeneral

Last Updated:

1. adammsu

adammsu Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i noticed when i first installed the app on my eris, it worked great. since then, I have to calibrate it every time, and it always points to the right of the phone until it does whatever it does.....

any1 else notice this, or find a fix?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Which compass do you have installed? There are several in Market.

Also, are you running one of the leaks, or 1.5?

3. adammsu

fair question.

i use the one called "compass" on 1.5 (untainted :) )

it doesn't appear to be an app specific problem, since i tried "just compass" that did the same thing. The "compass" one is smart enough to tell that it needs calibrating.... Like i can use it an calibrate (and it seems to work correctly) - close the app and immediately re-open, and it will need to recalibrate....

Its like something or some app screwed it up, since when i first got it the app, it never asked to recalibrate.

4. Frisco

Yeah, it sounds like a change you made after installing Compass is twiddling with it in some way. An app? A setting in Sense? .. etc..

I'm sorry I can't give you specific help. If I have an app that is not working as advertised I'll try re-installing it once. If the problem crops up again I toss it.

5. adammsu

yeah who knows. i am pretty sure its not a setting... maybe just some weird combination of code

6. Frisco

There were over a hundred compasses in Market last time I looked. Have you tried others? Maybe you can find something that does not behave as if it is not compatible with your Eris setup.

7. adammsu

well, i have tried 3, all with the same response. At the end of the day, the programs are probably just reading a sensor, so its likely a sensor issue..... I would try a hard reset, but its just this that I would be looking to fix, and so not worth it. I'll wait/hope for the OTA and look at it then.

8. Frisco

Interesting that this is coming up. I do not have the problem(s) you are reporting, but I did just notice that my "DGT Compass 2" loses accuracy when it is near my computer. I just tested that by more than one computer here.

9. adammsu

yep, that one is pretty slick, but same thing. Fortunately not hard to calibrate, just have to wave it around some

10. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Mine went through a phase like that. Don't remember if it stopped or started pre leak or post. Sorry I'm of no help other than to say it hasn't asked me to calibrated now in a while. Lasted like 3 days iirc.

11. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member

Every time I turn on the compas I have to recalibrate. Otherwise it will point anywhere it wants to. And I don't even need to switch to setting/calibrate, I just make a few figure 8s and after that it points fine.

The other thing: in google map (or in some settings menu) it asks if I want to show compas on map. But it never does.
    Peter