compassSupport

Last Updated:

1. snowcrash

snowcrash Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Downloaded compass application and didn't find it to be very accurate. Used it next to a real compass and an Iphone with its compass....Iphone matched the real compass...this one was way off. Anyone have better luck, or did they get the compass chip from the same guy they got the crappy GPS chip from.

Advertisement
  2. n8man1068

n8man1068 Member

I have yet to understand the reason why one would need a compass application on a cell phone.

3. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

The GPS status app will tell you things like:

-the difference between true north and magnetic north in degrees at your location

- the magnetic field reading where you are

-what the magnetic field reading should be where you are

and if the above two numbers are too far apart, it will instruct you to calibrate the compass (and has instructions on faq page). Helps a lot.

Personally, I don't plan to go hiking or mountain climbing with my Moment so as long as it points within about 15

4. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Id have to say its just for that "Oh wow, cool" factor. After that, I really dont see the point.

5. snowcrash

snowcrash Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I downloaded GPS status, but it is confusing..will have to read the instructions and see if I can figure it out.

I think the main benefit of having a compass would be when using a navigation software it knows which way your car is facing to start. When you start navigating without a compass you have to move first so it can figure what direction you are heading based on changes in your GPS track. If you have the compass and are in a parking lot, you know which way to turn out of the lot.

Otherwise it is about as useful as the metal detector app....good for showing off.

6. vinscuzzy

vinscuzzy Member

What FAQ page are you speaking of?

7. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

GPS Status > menu > settings > about > help & release notes