Compatable roms

Last Updated:

1. metfan4

metfan4 Member This Topic's Starter

Fairly new to rooting (been a few weeks now). I was just wondering what the easiest way is to know if a certain rom is compatible with the build i'm on. I have the frg01b build and im just wondering if some of these links to roms that dont have a build number with it will work on my phone

Advertisement
  2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

A new ROM replaces your old ROM so you don't need to worry about compatibility. Probably want to look for a FRG22 ROM. But remember, if the ROM is built from source...it only uses the proprietary files (drivers, Google apps, etc.). Build info is more important in "hacked" ROMs than it is for ROMs that are built from Google's source code.

There can be advantages and disadvantages to both but look at the ratings and reviews and find one that fits you. If you don't like it, wipe data and try another one :)

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Umm, here's the deal.

A ROM is a full system (operating system) that needs to have nothing installed already on your phone to work. There is no compatibility with the existing ROM on your phone - only the requirements of having access to a particular type of Recovery in order to install the ROM. It will remove your old ROM currently on your phone, so no compatibility required.

A theme is applied over a currently installed ROM on your phone, and these will require compatibility - some themes are nearly universal, but some are ROM version specific.

A themed-ROM is a hybrid of the above two - it takes (usually) a stock ROM and applies a particular theme on top of it so you only flash one thing and get your chosen ROM with your chosen them applied already. These work the same as regular ROMs - since it is the full ROM, you flash and go. It wipes the previous ROM out of the way, so no compatibility required.

HTH

4. Wheresatom

Wheresatom Active Member

Thanks for the clarification above. I have an additional question. Is a themed-ROM the same as a MOD? As in, if I have successfully rooted, would installing Lithium Mod be a stand alone action, or do I need to do anything else?

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Lithium MOD is a Themed ROM. It would be a standalone action, however, you'll need to have an alternate recovery (I believe he is using Clockwork Mod recovery, so you'll need ROM Manager so you can flash CWM onto your phone.

6. klwheat

klwheat Well-Known Member

arrgghh...you beat me to it...LOL :D

7. scott craft

scott craft Member

I flashed lithium mod through sprecovery. I think it was just clockwork at first.